Chinese-Forums

Prescription medicine cheaper in China?

koreth

I take modafinil (Provigil) for a sleep disorder. I'll be in China for a month and a half this summer and I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper to refill my prescription over there rather than getting an extra-large supply of medicine to take with me. And if it's a *lot* cheaper over there, it may even make sense to bring some back when I'm done; it's not the cheapest stuff in the US even with insurance covering part of the cost.

I know the Chinese name, so presumably if it's available at all it'll be no problem to ask for it at a pharmacy. Anyone know if modafinil is considered a prescription-only drug over there? If so, I'll have to find a doctor who can translate my (English-language) prescription into Chinese before I go. I know China is a lot less strict than the US about controlling access to medicines, though, so maybe that's not an issue.

Depends a lot on where you are going. In the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai you'll have no problem but in a small city in a remote area it may be harder. Also the price will vary from region to region so which part of china is essential to answer your question.

Dalian would count as a big city. So either place you won't have a problem as long as you have the translation correct. One thing to check, how much will the US customs let to take back? Check with the US authorities that you will be allowed to bring the amount you wan to buy back with you. You don't want to get stopped on your way home.

Yes, US medicine is knocked off in China and very cheap. Yet, it is highly likely that the medicine was made in some backyard lab and hasn't gone through any of the proper safety trials and checks. Last year the director of the Chinese FDA was arrested for selling clinical trials, and putting drugs on the market without ANY sort of certifacation. Be careful!

koreth,

have you ever tried acupuncture? If I were you, I'd probably continue taking the pills but I'd also go to see a qualified acupuncturist to find out what the root reason for your sleep disorder is. Just ask the local people, they'll know who has a deep clinical experience.

Wish You Pleasant Experience!