Chinese-Forums

HSK Tingli @ Yunnan Normal University

Xiao Kui

Today I took the HSK Elementary/Intermediate at Yunnan Normal Uni. After there were obvious problems with the radio headsets for tingli that part of the test was postponed to the end. They postponed the test but nothing was done to fix the headsets or broadcasting system (at least not successfully)

There was a loud humming sound throughout the broadcast that was louder than the broadcast itself. You could still hear most of what they were saying if you really concentrated, but there was also periodic static feedback. During this time I sometimes tried to tune my radio a little, and often ended up missing either all or part of the following question. At the end I had a headache from the loud drone that was humming even during the silent parts of the test. I was pretty disappointed because I thought the rest of the HSK was quite doable and expect to get high scores in reading, grammar, and comprehensive.

Anyway I've learned my lesson not to try to improve the tuning, exchange headsets, etc, because a crappy broadcast is as good as it gets. To their credit, the teachers moderating the tests did their best to help with the headsets, but what could they do with this crappy equipment? Hope the HSK testing center might invest the test fees in computers for future tests. Better to have test centers with a small computer lab where you can make an appointment and then take your test in a small group instead of this big chaotic test day they're stuck on.

I know I'm dreaming, I don't expect the HSK to be joining us here in the 21st century anytime soon. I feel a little guilty complaining because the problem didn't seem to bother some of my fellow test-takers - perhaps those were also from developing countries and used to those kind of test-taking conditions, used to taking tests in China, or just not accustomed to questioning authority- they seemed to roll with the punches pretty well, or maybe they just got better headsets. At least I know what to expect for next time, and won't miss any questions trying to fix or worry abt the problem.

has anyone else at YNNU or elsewhere had problems with the quality of the tingli broadcast?

That sucks. I have a friend who took that test down there today, obviously, he said the same thing.

At least for the HSK Gao in Shanghai, they play a random tape before the actual test to make sure that everybody's headsets work well. The tape itself doesn't seem to be of too good of quality, but I've never seen equipment problems.

You might want to think about: 1) telling the HSK people about this (ie. writing an email, and get others who took that test to also write an email) 2) you might want to recommend that they see if the listening statistical mean of that group at Yunnan Normal differed significantly from the overall mean. If so, see if they could adjust the mean.

Of course, they probably won't give you any sort of response, but they do need to know about these problems. I bet the testing centers would tend to avoid reporting problems if possible.

Wow, that's irritating. I've heard in years past that Yunnan normal didn't give individual

headsets to people taking the elementary/intermediate HSK but instead put a tape player

at the front of the room. This seems quite unfair given that you pay the same as people

who take it at places where they hear the dialogue through headphones. I guess this

year at least they're trying. I remember a lot of people complained last year.

For what it's worth, I took the test in Dec 2005 at Yunnan University and the sound

was fine.

I also took the advanced test at Yunnan normal on Saturday. This was in a nice

language lab, and there were no problems with the sound (although it was quite loud -- couldn't figure out how to adjust the volume). Obviously far fewer people take the

advanced test (44), and they need a room with recording capability.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent, and for your suggestions.

I also took the advanced test at Yunnan normal on Saturday. This was in a nice

language lab, and there were no problems with the sound (although it was quite loud -- couldn't figure out how to adjust the volume). Obviously far fewer people take the

advanced test (44), and they need a room with recording capability.

The HSK elem. test was a practice run for me, I'm hoping to take the advanced next year. Yesterday after this test I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to go through all the prep if the tingli part is so iffy, but since the conditions are different for the advanced test, I'll go for it.