Chinese-Forums

Want to live in China...Tsinghua IMBA or top 25 US MBA?

mandarinstudent

If a Tsinghua MBA can speak fluent Chinese and an Ivy league MBA does not, the one who speaks Chinese gets the job, contract, or relationship edge.

Ok, how about:

A westerner that has graduated from a highly ranked US MBA program+Chinese speaking ability+American work experience

VERSUS

A westerner that has graduated from the Tsinghua MBA program+Chinese speaking ability+Chinese work experience (equal amount of years)

Who is better off in China when it comes to corporate finance? Who will the MNCs hire? What do you all think?

I figure experience is the most important, then Chinese ability with education comming in a distant third.

Getting a Chinese MBA in English does not seem to be the best route to take. The degree won't be worth much in the west and a lack of Chinese skills will keep you out of most jobs within China. In my opinion it would be much better to struggle with the Chinese courses and in the end be able to say you completed your coursework in Mandarin. Even if your grades sucked.

As to Mandarin students question: both of these individuals have as good a chance as anybody finding a decent job in China. If I had to bet on one I'd bet on the American educated one but it would be close.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Though this thread is a few years old, I think that the concerns are still valid. I’m a student ambassador in the Tsinghua IMBA program and will be available to answer questions.

In response to some of the questions raised, I’d recommend reading an interview here: http://blog.find-mba.com/

In terms of finding jobs after the program, Chinese language abilities will definitely limit or open job opportunities. Another point worth noting is that Tsinghua has consistently ranked at the top of most domestic rankings for MBAs. Most foreign students graduating from the program look for jobs in multinationals in China, where the Tsinghua name carries a lot of weight.

-Tsinghua SAP

Edited by imron