Chinese-Forums

Question about a study abroad package...

Dostoyevsky

Recently, I have decided to go to China (Shanghai) to study Mandarin for a year. I have never been outside of the United States, and, as of now, have not taken any courses in Mandarin. I am 100% intent on going (this fall), so the only question that remains is how to go about it... At the moment, I am strongly considering the following option: http://www.chinastudyabroad.org/shanghai/fudanuniv_fees.htm

I understand that I could pay less if I coordinated things myself; but I am not really sure how to go about doing so, and I think it might be good to have an organization to turn to (since I have so little knowledge of China).

I would be thankful to get some opinions regarding the study abroad package (linked above), and feel free to share any other thoughts/suggestions you might have.

BTW... I am 22 and coming from Kansas City, Missouri.

Hello mate, I dont have any advice for you, but just thought i'd post to say that i am in exactly the same postion as you. Im 22, looking to study chinese in Shanghai but am a complete beginner. I've been looking at the Fudan, Jiaotong and Maritime universities. Im still not completely sure whether to use a website such as the one you linked to, or whether to apply direct.

I have emailed a few universities and they have responded with application forms, and instructions, so it appears to be easy to apply without help. My only concern (probably same for you) is the first few weeks of being totally clueless in a foreign country!

I had a look at this website and chuckled a little at their lowest price guarantee. Another company could not provide the exact same service anyway (under their terms and conditions) due to the health insurance coverage - this would inevitably be different.

Anyway, to answer your question their prices do not seem outrageous (if they are providing all the weekend tours they claim to be together with subsidized travel inside China and the one-to-one tuition). A bit better than some. To give you an idea of their "portion" as compared to the cost of going direct to a university for a city I am familiar with (Dalian):

University Tuition / year: US$1,700

Single Dorm Accommodation / year: US$2,000 (assuming living in dorm during semester time - about eight months)

Other titbits: US$200 (mobile phone, textbooks etc.)

University Total: US$3,900

Their Price: US$9,435

So if you think the weekly excursions, the insurance, the one-to-one tuition and of course the reduced hassle is worth the extra US$5,500 then maybe worthwhile for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with the above poster.

Honestly, the prices quoted by that website/service are rather ridiculous.

First of all, the school's tuition and materials fee should probably be around 11,000-12,000 RMB, approximately 1580 USD. (7.6 RMB = 1 USD) Electives are

Second, housing can be expensive depending on where you want to live and what standards you're accustomed to. For reference, Chinese university students often live 4-8 in a dorm room for 400-600 RMB/semester TOTAL. Most foreigners will not be keen on such an arrangement. You can either take university housing or find your own place.

Universities offer plenty of singles or doubles for foreigners because they know foreigners have different expectations and needs than the native Chinese students. Foreigners also typically can pay more. University housing is, at best, convenient. You usually don't have to worry about utility bills, internet connections, maybe even changing your sheets, and you might make dorm friends with other foreign students more easily.

However, its still a dorm so it may not be convenient if you go out, find that hot guy or gal, and wanna come home for some fun. There may be curfews and lockouts, or even noisy inconsiderate neighbors. You may even have to put up with communal bathrooms for some of the cheaper options.

With regards to cost, university housing is not really the best value. A single room may run you about 2100-4500 RMB/month, depending on whether or not you have your own bathroom. If you get a roommate, it should be half as much, respectively.

If you look for your own place, you have to go through the hassle of doing so. This means finding vacant apartments, negotiating with landlords or intermediary agents. There will be deposits, utility bills, setting up internet connection (if not already connected), paying rent, etc. and most landlords don't like short-term tenents. However, you're likely to get much better value with this option. Shanghai is more expensive than other cities in China so an apartment a foreigner would likely find reasonable will run you 3000-5000 RMB/month on average. There are some lucky cheaper deals and there are plenty of more expensive options. Generally, if you're paying over 5000 RMB/month for a one bedroom apartment and you're still around campus, you've been taken for the ignorant foreigner that you are.

There are plenty of 2-3 bedroom places to be had for 3000-5000 RMB/month. There are plenty of 1 lofts or 1 bedroom apartments for 3000-4000 RMB/month. Find a roommate if you can since it'll be cheaper and more fun (unless either of you is just a complete and unredeemable jackass). As you can see, you should be paying 200-300 USD/month for accomodations and, if you splurge within reason, 750 USD/month. The most important part is that for the price, you typically get more for your money compared to univeristy housing unless you got horribly ripped off.

Compare paying 2100-4500 RMB/month for your own room in a dorm for university housing with paying 1500-2500 RMB/month for your own room in AN APARTMENT that is furnished, includes a kitchen, private bathroom, private laundry, living room, maybe a dining room, likely a balcony, and the freedom of not having school security guards or staff "protecting" you.

To be fair, the university housing is convenient for the foreigner who hasn't the time or the ability to find a place on their own. You simply pay for it.

The question here, however, is whether or not this CSA program is worth its price.

Let's make a quick comparison so far:

via CSA

Jiaotong University, Standard Program (4 hours instruction), 1 Semester

Campus Housing - Single

A bunch of other stuff...

7860 USD = 59736 RMB

via Yourself

Jiaotong University, Standard Program (4 hours instruction), 1 Semester (~12,000 RMB max)

Campus Housing - Single (~18,000 RMB max)

30,000 RMB = 3948 USD

Remember, CSA includes other features, but for the core expenses, we already know CSA is nearly twice the cost.

Now, let's consider some other things:

The "intensive" mandarin study "program" is a joke. They basically enroll you in the university program and tack on a private Chinese tutor for 2 hours.

Competent-professional tutors (those who are existing teachers and supplement their income by doing part-time tutoring) in Shanghai can run you maybe 30 RMB/hour. You can pay as high as 50 RMB/hour but do consider the fact that a labor and customer-service-intensive job at Starbucks in China earns them something like 6 RMB/hour. The average university graduate in China can expect to make 1800-2300 RMB/month for a full time job.

RMB, people, not USD. The premiums they're charging for 2 hours of tutoring service is huge and it is reasonable to expect that a very small percentage of it is actually going to the Chinese tutor.

I wish they listed the price/costs for the health care package by itself. Health care can be expensive and may add to their total price but when I consider the fact that we're talking about group health insurance for mostly young individuals, I'm not entirely sure it is.

There is no schedule for what extracurricular activities they promise to provide you. But, let's assume that there's a half-day or full-day city tour each weekend. That shouldn't cost you more than 100 RMB each time for the service. A semester is about 4-5 months so let's assume 25 weekends and that's only 2500 RMB or 330 USD. Actually, day tours really shouldn't cost 100 RMB a person anyway. Other social activities are not promised to be free. Most language exchange activities are pre-existing.

The welcome pack (including the cell phone) is nice and cute but the total value should not exceed 1000-2000 RMB. Love the DVD starter collection though (wonders if they're pirated).

Bottom line: you have to ask yourself if you're willing to pay roughly double or more for the convenience of having health insurance, a few cute gifts, airport pick up service, someone else possibly(!) organizing your social life, and etc. (you can read the website too)...

...all of which you either don't really need or can obtain separately on your own, likely for drastically cheaper prices.

CSA offers a certain convenience and piece of mind but I don't think its worth the premium especially since it offers very little in terms of actually enriching your experience in whatever host city or university you'll be living in. Most of the included benefits are pretty mundane and easily arranged or found on your own once you're in China.