Chinese-Forums

Respectful clothing, while in southwest China

Friday

I will be studying in Yunnan province, in and around Kunming (including rural areas), this summer. I know that, at least in many parts of the southeast asian countries, it is rude for either gender to wear shortsleeve shirts and short pants unless one is at a major tourist destination, the beach, or at a pool. I know that many southeast asian customs are found in southwest China. Not wanting to be an ugly american guy, I must ask: does this custom carry through into north Yunnan? Should I leave most of my shortsleeve shirts in the US?

Uh, I've been to Bangkok plenty of times and short-sleeved shirts tend to be the norm there. If you're a guy, polo shirts and slacks are common and perfectly fine to wear; younger people wear T-shirts too. As for short pants, maybe it isn't so common, but I don't think anybody would be offended if you(a foreigner) dressed however you liked. Maybe some long pants and a bit nicer clothes would be required for going to temples. But that's Thailand, I don't know how different it is from SW China.

Chinese clothing standards are generally very relaxed. Short sleeves are normal.

I have a shirt and tie and suit here, but have worn them about three times in ten years. All to very formal government banquets.

You might, however, have to consider rolling up the legs of your long trousers and exposing your nipples tucking your t-shirt into your armpits when it gets a little warmer than average. (Men Only!)