Chinese-Forums

Can anyone tell me about Zhungeer in Inner Mongolia?

梅克立

Below was my original question. Since then I have taken the internship with the American company and have decided to post some pictures of what is going on here. The city has I believe 270,000 people and is fairly close to the surface coal mine. There are virtually NO foreigners here except for the people staying in my hotel. Various people from Bucyrus, Terex, Siemens, etc. The city has very little to do in terms of night-life. There are two clubs/discos from what I gather. I've actually asked some of the 20 year olds around here what they do and it is all 没有好玩儿的地方。The city is about a 2 hour car ride from Hohhot (the capital) and that will set you back 500 rmb. There is bus service but I haven't tried it. There are no ATMs capable of using foreign cards. Exchange money in the Beijing airport or Hohhot.The language is really not putonghua at all. I won't go so far as saying it is like going from Beijing to Shanghai but it's definitely weird. Some people I can understand fine but the workers are mostly 听不懂。

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to intern for a US company doing engineering work in Zhungeer in Inner Mongolia. I know this is a mine but is there anything around it? Do most of the people speak Mandarin, would it be beneficial for my ongoing Chinese learning? Is there enough to do there to pass a few months (I've seen pictures of motorcycle trips through inner mongolia and they look great)?

Thanks!

I tried looking it up on google but didn't get very far using the name you gave other than to find alot of sites about railways. I can't work out exactly where it is so can't tell you if I've been there or not. (There's alot of places I been to but never got told the name of; but I know where they are on a map.)

Can you give any more details?

This is all the info I could find, first sentence seems the most relevant:

Zhungeer" is the name of the whole district. The town itself is called "Zhoujiawan" ( ).

Access

There is a regular bus service between Zhoujiawan and Huhehaote. Travel time is some 3:15 hours, fare 18-19Y. During the day, buses operate every 25 (afternoon) or 30 minutes (morning). Furthermore, there are additional long distance buses from Zhoujiawan. Departures from Zhoujiawan bus terminal are:

Huhehaote 07:00..(30min)..13:00, 13:25..(25min)..18:00

Dongsheng 07:00, 07:50, 08:30, 09:00..(60min)..12:00, 12:30, 13:00, 13:25, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 16:40, 17:20

Baotou 08:00, 08:30, 09:30, 10:30, 14:30, 15:00

Beijing 15:00

Taiyuan 08:00, 18:00

Shijiazhuang 11:00

Wuhai 07:20

Jining 07:30

Xiyingzi

(terminus of ZhunDong railway) 14:40

Additionally, there is a passenger train along the electrified Zhungeer-Datong line between Zhoujiawan and Datong. It consist of 4 YZ+1 XL only, is hauled by a non-CNR DF4B (I saw DF4 3863) and almost empty! If you want to cover the track Fengzhen-Zhoujiawan, do not wait too long! The train must be hot candidate for cancellation ! The timetable in April 2001 was as shown below. Expect some retiming +/- 20 minutes as I saw the train arriving at Zhoujiawan not before 20:05 (Acknowledgment to Robin Gibbons for translating into Pinyin).

Pulled from:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~menius/trains/maps/zhungeer-chin.jpg&imgrefurl=http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~menius/trains/china344.htm&h=385&w=730&sz=135&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=ikoJjWCQpLdE4M:&tbnh=74&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dzhungeer%2Bmine%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

That pages is the same as I found to. It's talking about railways not mines and it doesn't discribe the town or where the town is. Zhungeer according to that site is the the name of the area not a city. However, it's not the name of any Banner or League that I can find.

I looked up Zhoujiawan but found a location in north west Liaoning Province, close to inner mongolia, but not in it. so that's not it.

The other location mentioned on that page Huhehaote is an alternative spelling for Huhhot. This is the Capital city of the region.

Are you sure Zhungeer is the correct name. Can you give us the name in chinese characters? Is there an alternative spelling?

All the references I have say Zhungeer. I know it sounds like the spelling is messed up - it doesn't sound like any mandarin word I've heard. I emailed the company asking for more info. If I hear anything I'll make sure and post back.

• 1 month later...