Chinese-Forums

Time to leave the temple grasshopper?

David W Jackson

Here's a couple of questions for all you kungfu afficionados out there:

1/. Anyone know of a good baji quan teacher in Beijing?

2/. Anyone know of a good traditional yang-style long form taiji teacher in BJ?

3/. Anyone know of a good hung fa kwoon kung fu teacher in BJ? (or other styles)

4/.- Anyone know where I can source these (or others) China-produced DVDs locally in BJ http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd/coll_baji.htm

5/. Anyone read "American Shaolin", willing to lend it to me?

6/. Anyone done the training in one of the shaolin "schools"?

7/. Anyone into Wild Goose Qigong?

Duo xie.

Hi

For the DVD's /VCD's the wushu association north Beijing carries most of these. It is on Anding road, I will find the full address when I am home. These are also in the foreign language bookshop Wang fu jing in the sport section.

As for teachers, Where are you going to be staying as there are many places you could go so an area would help.

cheers

phil

i've trained shaolin gongfu and chen style taijiquan most of my life. i owned a school for it in usa, illinois since 2003. i'll be going to dengfeng city, in henan province near shaolinsi, in a couple weeks to train again with shifu. if you have questions about that i may be of some help. but i dont know about beijing. sorry.

oh, and it would be nice to support shaolin and matt polly, the author of the book by actually buying it. he's an awesome author and experienced shaolin with all the monks who are out there grown up and teaching across the world now. he's done a lot for shaolin. if you want to read his book, i suggest digging up a few bucks to buy it. its definitely worth keeping in a collection and not reading once and throwing out.

Phil, thanks for that, big help. I'm in Beijing next week flat-hunting and as soon as I'm sorted I"ll let you know. L-F-J, thanks for offering to help with Shaolinsi. Maybe later in the year when I'm a bit more settled we could have a chat about it. You were not to know that the reason to ask to borrow the Polly book is not due to an aversion to buying one; but to an inability to do so due to having no non-Chinese banking. Maybe it will be available in Beijing soon - or already is? - and I can get a copy that way. Thanks again for the input.

• 4 weeks later...

David,

Thanks so much for your interest in my book. And L-F-J your kind words are much appreciated. We writers like it when people read our books, but we love it when they actually buy it.

The British publishing company Little, Brown is releasing it to English language book stores across the world. It just hit Australia. I'm not sure if it has made it to China yet. You could always go to an English-language book store in your area (if there is one) and see if they have a copy. If not, you can ask them to order it.

That's the best way for me, because it alerts the publisher that there is interest in the book in a particular location. Otherwise, they might not send a copy.

Alternatively, you can always order it from Amazon (US or UK). The UK version is paperback so it's a little cheaper.

Best wishes,

Matthew Polly

• 1 month later...