Chinese-Forums

Ask and Answer——HSK

Jingjing-N

I have final exams next week as it is, not to mention the fact that travelling to Guanzhou from Hainan costs more than the HSK in the first place.

I have finals too but nowhere that far to go. I'm going to quit complaining now. I think you should get a refund too.

Wow, never seen that happen before.

I'm in two minds about this. At least they're admitting there's a problem and doing something about it. But letting it happen in the first place, plus blaming "个别考场录音播放设备存在差异" - if that's the case, name them and get all those students back in for a retest. As it is it's a case of 'if you think there was a problem', which seems to a) give anyone who didn't really have a problem a chance to retake, and B) unless they're actually making efforts to contact them, there are quite possibly students out there who just assumed this was normal and are going to accept the grades they got.

unless they're actually making efforts to contact them, there are quite possibly students out there who just assumed this was normal and are going to accept the grades they got.

They are not making an effort. If it wasn't for yonglin checking their site I never would have known and assumed they would have found a way to mathematically correct it.

As always your observations are very keen Roddy.

That's not so bad then. I spoke to someone who does marking for the HSK and has friends working at the HSK center, and it was basically a case of (and this is her opinion, nothing official) this being about as much as you can hope for, and at least they're not just stonewalling and saying there was no problem.

I won't be going back for the retake this weekend, but I am glad to know that the HSK people have admitted they had a problem. Thanks for checking into it Roddy. It definitely shows some professionalism that they didn't completely stonewall on the issue.

Actually, I'm just thinking this will probably get the average score down, and then, because of the scaled marking get my final mark up. That said, I'm not sure if it's such a bad deal.

The sound was bad, but to be honest and off-the-record, I don't know if I could've done much better with better sound. I think I wasn't up to it yet.

Actually, I'm just thinking this will probably get the average score down, and then, because of the scaled marking get my final mark up. That said, I'm not sure if it's such a bad deal.

It all will depend on how many 参加那个补考.

I have seen so many different things about a scale in the grading system. I really don't get how they figure these things out so I am unable to figure it out for myself. How does the grading actually work?

I have seen so many different things about a scale in the grading system. I really don't get how they figure these things out so I am unable to figure it out for myself. How does the grading actually work?

Good question, I was trying to figure it out a couple of times but I was unsuccesful. The information about the grading system available on the net and in that booklet they give you after registering is insufficient... Is there anybody who can answer this and possibly provide some examples or something?

The HSK is graded on a curve. See these threads below. I tried to get some clarification earlier in this threads, but wasn't able to get it.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=72615&highlight=curve#post72615

HSK paper marking question

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=107533&highlight=curve#post107533

Re: Ask and Answer——HSK

The HSK is graded on a curve. See these threads below. I tried to get some clarification earlier in this threads, but wasn't able to get it.

And that's what I'm trying to get and because no one seems to be able to clarify I don't know who to believe! Help!!!!!!:conf:wall :wall :conf:wall :wall

According to HSK's own written description, it's graded on a curve, determined by all the scores earned on a particular exam date. It's not influenced past tests. You need to score at the 97% or higher to get an 8 on the intermediate test.

Jing Jing claimed it wasn't curved earlier in this thread, but when I pointed out the description on HSK's website, s/he said well, s/he meant something else. HSK's website is as clear as it's going to get, I am afraid.

To anyone who ever studies statistics, it's pretty obvious. Maybe that's why few people found any reason to elaborate?

Even small samples (e.g., 30 people taking a test) can be approximated by a normal distribution. For big samples (e.g., the number of people taking the HSK), the normal distribution will be almost perfect.

Grading on a curve will make sure that each time is as difficult as the other time. This presumes that the body of people taking the test is of similar ability, which they will usually be. Curving makes sure that a particularly difficult set of test question does not affect your score.

This presumes that the body of people taking the test is of similar ability, which they will usually be.

The types of people taking the exam from session to session may differ. It's possible that the Korean and Japanese students who study in China might prefer to take it on a certain date over others. If that's true, the writing portion will probably have a higher curve on that date than on others.

That is true. However, I wonder of how much practical importance it would be. However, my bet is that the part which Korean or Japanese would actually have an advantage is the reading bit. Most Korean and Japanese in my classes are having a really hard time with grammar (which many Western learners find the easiest part): something that would indeed break through in the writing section.

That said, I've no idea what the new elementary-intermediate test (which actually includes writing) was like: as far as I know, it was only administered in some parts of China (not here).

However, my bet is that the part which Korean or Japanese would actually have an advantage is the reading bit

That's true, my Japanese friends here told me, that grammar and listening are the most difficult parts, while reading is generally 小菜一碟 (piece of cake) for them. No wonder, they have been learning the characters since childhood, they are used to them and therefore can read fast. And that is why they do so good in this part, because in 阅读 speed is the key. I could also get more than 90% answers correct IF I had enough time... not that much time, some 10 minutes more would be sufficient. I usually miss the last article (or in better cases just a part of it) and have to random-guess the last four or five questions... Well, I guess I just have to improve my speed, which would mean getting rid of the influence of my mother tongue - the characters are automatically transforming into pinyin in my head when I read something, that's because I am used to reading alphabet. Whereas the Asian people just look at the characters and the meaning automatically pops up in their heads without thinking of the pronunciation...