Chinese-Forums

Blogging in China currently

-葛亚辉-

So, I've read (on sinosplice a while back) that recently the gov't has cracked down on free blog sites that were previously available, including wordpress, xanga, etc. My question is, how does this blocking work exactly?

I have a blog that is powered by WordPress, but is hosted on my own site, all the wordpress code is installed on my servers through yahoo (who hosts my sites)...so I never go to wordpress's site or anything, but I use their software and my site does say "powered by WordPress"...is it likely to be blocked?

Hmm, actually, this can be a lot easier....for those in China, is this blocked?

http://www.sun-zoo.com/harbin/

(there's basically nothing on that one yet so I wouldn't waste any time reading if it does load, I was just toying around with it this evening, but I don't want to put a lot of time into setting one up if I'm not going to be able to use it when I'm there...)

thanks all

It loads.

Basically the blogging package you use doesn't make any difference, it's where your site is hosted. If you are on any of the major free providers, there's a fair chance that your blog is, or will be, blocked. Even if it's fine now I wouldn't use it, as you don't know what'll happen next month.

Get yourself a cheap hosting package with php and mysql and do the set-up. Some hosting providers will have one-click set-up options. You're then safe unless for some reason someone else on the same server gets blocked, which is unlikely - it does happen, but it's unlikely.

well, my blog is hosted on my servers....ie the servers i pay for through yahoo...it uses wordpress technology but i think the code is all installed on my servers (yahoo hosting offers some really easy "set up blog" options for people who pay for hosting, so i just did that....)

is that good enough or do i need to code all the stuff myself?

also, thanks for the incredibly prompt response!

There have been issues with Yahoo's webhosting in the past, apparently as a result of connection with Geocities which was blocked for a long time. I've seen recent reports of that still being the case.

However, your site's working now, so I guess it isn't affected. I'd just leave it there - you can always move it later.

The code you use is irrelevant, absolutely no need to do your own coding. With some hosts you might need to do your own installation, but that's pretty simple.

My personal site is blocked in China. I have literally NOTHING on it, because I can't upload anything to the site

You're then safe unless for some reason someone else on the same server gets blocked, which is unlikely - it does happen, but it's unlikely.

I guess I'm proof that it does happen.