Chinese-Forums

i think i completely missed the whole culture thing

geek_frappa

i had the impression that men in China had more respect for women now.

i am finding that it is quite the opposite. men do 50% less work but get paid more than women. men still want their employees to wear certain clothes that make women fit the office lady (OL) stereotype. and beauty is still a major factor during hiring or promotion.

in order to be successful in Chinese business, do i need to start treating women in the same way that the other men in Chinese society treat them?

men do 50% less work but get paid more than women.

Really? Any supporting evidence? In HK men and women do get paid equally (for me, I often do just 50% of the work yet get paid just the same as my male colleagues :tong ).

beauty is still a major factor during hiring or promotion.

Again, any substantiation? Yet I think a good and neat appearance is a major factor for hiring or promoting any employee, male or female.

at a big company (i can't mention it for obvious reasons), a woman who basically is keeping the entire company alive, is still paid less than her male counterparts. the company has operations in HK and in SZ (Shenzhen).

she got a raise, but then her male boss who does NOTHING but sit around all day also got a raise. if she was a man, should be at a much higher position or at least on every cover of every Chinese magazine.

my girlfriend also got a raise and HER boss got a raise for ALSO doing nothing. how annoying!!! my girlfriend's boss keeps the company from falling apart and my girlfriend keeps their #1 client from moving their competitor. both are cases where the men just sat at the desk like McDull and stared into space, while the women did all the traveling, talking, dealing, marketing, running, walking, carrying, shuffling...etc.

where do you exactly work in HK that gives you such equality?

can't be TST, or Taipo...?

maybe i will ask my gf to apply there...

Again, any substantiation? Yet I think a good and neat appearance is a major factor for hiring or promoting any employee, male or female.

the girls who flirt with management and wear small dresses go to the trade show and get more commission. the girls who have respect for their bodies, are rarely chosen for promotion.

or maybe i'm wrong. HK is a beacon for equality. :wink:

"Hi, I'm Lee Hacken. Don't forget to vote."

I could write volumes on this. But let me just say one thing: I know a little bit about Taiwan executive recruitment, and when the agency sends its version of the CV out, if it's a woman there's always a line like this "Candy Chen is an attractive, petite lady" or "Melody Chang is a medium-sized lady". With male candidates, only ability to do the job (and connections!) are mentioned.