Chinese-Forums

What vaccinations?

Kristyx

hi,

I'll be spending a year in Xiamen. I've started to get my vaccinations, I've been told I don't need antimalaria tablets but the hospital aren't giving me any straight advice when it comes to the Japanese Encephalitis vaccination. One nurse told me I'd need it, but when I went back for it I was told by another nurse that it's not needed if I'm going to be living in an urban area, and that it's a risky injection so to only get it if I was going to spend a lot of time in the countryside.

I read that Fujian is a risky province, but it's a large place!!

I'm interested to know what other people have decided when it comes to this injection?

Doh! I've never asked that question

What vaccinations was I supossed to get before I came here?

My wife can't remember what she had as a child if anything.

I'm living in Jinan spending most of my time in the city, but with occasional visits to countryside restaurants down by the river.

You may want to refer to the CDC for information on vaccinations:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eastasia.htm#vaccines

Definitely do get vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B (you can get vaccinated for both at once with the Twinrix vaccine) - you may not know this, but 10% of the Chinese population is infected with Hepatitis B.

Also consider that while in China, you may decide to travel to other asian countries, so you should plan your vaccinations accordingly.

Besides the usual set of vaccinations for third world countries, I dont think there any "special" vaccinations needed for China. OF course, asking your doctor would probably be the best source of advice!