Chinese-Forums

X-visa & parttime jobs

mitch

Even though I found it hard to find relevant information on this topic, it seems that working parttime on a student visa is prohibited. Some questions that I couldn't find answers for are:

-Is this still the case?

-Is work prohibited under all circumstances?

-Is it easy to find a job anyway? In Japan you can't get a proper job anywhere without the right visa, you're restricted to private english tutoring and the likes, is this the same in China? Or do employers not really care about what visa you have?

I'm going to China for a year after the summer and depending on the answers to these questions I'd have to take another job this summer to save enough money :help:lol: . As for parttime jobs in China I'm talking about English tutoring, bartending and modeling in particular.

Thanks in advance!

As long as you dodn't go advertising to the foreign students office of your school that you are working on the side, there really shouldn't be a big problem, but if you were really making a solid income in this job it could be a problem. Allot of students here in F visa's do freelance work such as translation, english tutoring, acting, etc you name it. It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'll be coming to China (to Nanjing) from Australia in a couple months to study mandarin full-time. Now I'm organising a Student X Visa through the university over in China, and everything was going well up until a few days ago when I found out something.

I was thinking about working as an english teacher over in Nanjing to be able to get enough money for living expenses, program fees, etc. But, the problem is, I called up the Chinese Embassy here in Australia, and they said that under no circumstances can I work in China if I have a student visa. And if I do work, it's a violation of my student visa and then my visa will get revoked! :help

So I don't get it, what do students do for money over in China? Do they all have money saved up, or is the rule "yeh its fine to work there, just don't get caught by the government!"

I really don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes. So any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much

You are not allowed to work on a student visa. However, what is to stop you studying on a work Z visa? Ask the school you will work for if they can arrange for you to get a Z visa. (though this may be tricky if you don't have any qualifications yet).