Chinese-Forums

HSK test taker from HONG KONG.

mefeadman

I've never taken this HSK test before but I have decided to take it in OCT in Hong Kong.

I wanted to purchase the book to prepare for HSK ( basic) so I went to the WWW.BLCUP.COM to look for a book.

I have found the following book:

1)Guide to Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) - Practice and Simulated Tests (Basic) - 3Tape

ISBN10: CNM040000350/AH

1)Could you please tell me if this book is good?

If so, do you know any book store in HONG KONG where I can buy this?

(the shipping costs 5X more than the book!)

2)Which other books are good to prepare for BASIC HSK?

thanks alot!

When preparing to take the HSK a few years ago, I had the same trouble finding HSK prep materials in HK. I managed to find two or three practice paper books, but I only found tapes to go with one of them. You might try Commercial Press at Star House in TST. If they don't have anything, then you could ask the people at the book shop behind 信和樓 at CUHK. They sell mainland published books there. They've ordered books for me in the past. It was a bit slow, but the cost was much lower than trying to order directly from BLCU. If all of that fails, then you could just pop over the border to Shenzhen or Guangzhou. The big book store in Tianhe in Guangzhou has piles and piles of HSK material. I used to go there once a year to blow a few hundred RMB on stuff that I'd never use.

Are you taking the HSK at CityU?

If you mean the 汉语水平考试应试指南(基础), I used to use it. It'll prepare you for the test, but IMO it over-prepares you: the questions in that book are way more difficult than the ones on the actual HSK basic test(just look at the sample test on their website for comparison). Some of the grammar questions in that book are actually more difficult than the beginner-intermediate test.

If you check the HSK test site they mention a few test sites outside of China, and I've definitely seen a few US test sites at university webpages. Of course, there aren't very many of them, so the nearest one might be very far away...

Thank you very much for all the replies! I will check those bookstores and the website~

I remember going to a BIG bookstore in SHENZHEN which was few subway stations away, Do you still remember what the bookstore is called?and which station u get off?

In Hong Kong, U can register for the test through HKPVS who is authorized to provide the HSK tests . (http://www.mandarin.com.hk/hsk.html)

BTW why is the HSK website so slow????? and doesnt work properly? or is it just HK?