Chinese-Forums

Learning with DVD questions

leosmith

I just ordered a multi-region DVD player (I'm in the US). Some questions:

1. Is there any way to get subtitles in pinyin?

2. Any ideas on where to buy (cheap) DVDs in Mandarin?

3. Can someone suggest some good titles? I prefer movies with realistic conversation, and standard pronunciation.

Thanks!

Probably no. It's quite easy to find Chinese, simple or tranditional, subtitles on the net, for example at 射手网 www.shooter.cn

But as far as I know, no one makes and uploads pinyin subtitle. I think, however, you inspired me that pinyin subtitle may be useful for Chinese learners.

2. Any ideas on where to buy (cheap) DVDs in Mandarin?

You can find places, public or secret, where cheap (usually pirate)DVDs are sold in most cities of China. But you're in the US... Why not download films from the net via P2P like Emule?

3. Can someone suggest some good titles? I prefer movies with realistic conversation, and standard pronunciation.

Do a search work on this forum. Many others have given their recommendations.:)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that DVDs store subtitles as images, rather than text (eg ASCII/unicode). I think there's free software for ripping these images into a separate file. But to get pinyin, you'd need to OCR the files. It might not work well, because the subtitle resolution is quite low, & it might be laborious (if the OCR software couldn't handle multiple images automatically).

It's a real shame actually & makes DVDs VCDs etc less useful for learning Chinese than for most other languages.

When your tingli is good enough, you can often look up the characters in subtitles quite quickly by pronounciation. But it could take a while to reach this stage...

Hi Leo

to question 1:

Do you mean like this? (see attachment)

For computer usage one can convert a character-subtitle (SRT format) into a pinyin-subtitle.

Or you can hear Mandarin, see Simpl.Chinese and English subtitles. All three at once. Yeah!

2: I prefer YesAsia or .... if you have time ... emule :)

3: at this moment I choose:

o Rice.Rhapsody.2004 海南雞飯 from Singapore/HongKong (YesAsia US$13).

o Chinese Style Divorce 国式离婚 from China.

To learn Simpl.Chinese I prefer movies from mainland China .. f.e. movies from Zhang Yimou.

But Rice-Rhapsody is easier to "understand".

With your perseverance you will .... in no time! :)

Have a nice time.

1105_thumb.attach

Amazingly! Someone have really done the work. Applause!

Chinese Style Divorce is quite worth watching, I think. The hero Chen Daoming and the heroine Jiang Wenli are both excellent Chinese playactors.

But seemingly there are some mistakes on the picture.

“能不能便宜一点呀”

Neng2 bu4 neng2 pian2 yi yi4 dian3 ya1

Hello

1. the first captured picture from the movie "Rice Rhapsody":

a) In Internet I found a Chinese subtitle file in SRT-format.

B) I used HanConv to convert it into pinyin.

That's easy and "always" correct!

2. The difficult method and "always" incorrect!

For the "Chinese Style Divorce" I could not find Chinese subtitle files. But in Internet (veryCD) I found video-files with Chinese subtitles.

I extracted the Chinese subtitle with a software named esrXP.

That's why f.e. the 4th character is false because the OCR-part did not "see" correctly. Instead of esrXP I used subOCR as an OCR-program because I don't understand esrXP fully.

One can use Wenlin to "read" the extracted Chinese subtitles.

OK .. first you must correct the false characters.

The 5th and 6th pinyin-error (?) are the work of HanConv.

againstwind .. thanks! :)

If you are patience and can read Chinese .. you can read in the website of esrXP about it's usage.

http://ideasoft.hp.infoseek.co.jp/esrXP/

And then .. you can tell us in this forum how to extract a Chinese subtitle better .... with less errors! Thank you :)

I think THIS is not a boring method to learn real Chinese .. without waiting till one has memorized 2000 Hanzi.

hlk23 - that's brilliant - thanks very much!

For anyone else using the files, they're GB212, so they don't work properly in Notepad. MS Word 2003 opens them OK though & lets you save them as UTF-8 text files. I'll see if I can produce versions in a more user friendly format. eg

line no / time / text

Keep 'em coming! (when you have the time!)

Hi onebir

How about moving to a new thread with a name something like:

"Chinese Style Divorce - how to extract Chinese subtitles"... ???

I think someone in this forum has asked how to extract from an embedded (Chinese) subtitle in a videofile.

Maybe somebody want to see CSD although s/he still cannot read online the Hanzi. This is a kind of bootstrapping .... "to reach this stage" earlier ... (to use your formulation)! :)

OK .. I'm going to upload all 23 raw srt-files.... one at a time.

You know .. I need more than 1 hour processing time to extract one subtitle of CSD!

First I've to convert the videofile from rmvb to avi .. to parametrize esrXP by trial/error .. to throw away the bad OCR data .. etc.etc. .. 23 times!

The subtitle resolution (of CSD) is quite low (as you've said).

divorce-04.txt

divorce-05.txt

HLK123, I think the info here answers the questions the OP asked initially. & anyone who searches fof CSD will find the info...

I didn't realise the process was so tricky, so thanks again. I imagine no one will mind if it takes you a week (or three) to get the whole lot done!

OK .. you'll upload the corrected Chinese subtitle files of CSD here ... right?

I'll do my best. Could take quite a while... With a bit of luck others will chip in.

Re translation, that's an even bigger job. & there are chunks I don't understand even though I know / have found all the characters. But if we have accurate subtitles, we can easily ask on this forum, so I suspect in time it'd be possible to produce a pretty accurate & complete translation.

So is Chinese style divorce a movie, or a TV show, and how do I get it?

It's a 23 episode soap opera (中国式离婚). But depending on how long you've been doing Chinese etc it may be quite difficult to follow.

If you want to try, hlk123 mentioned sources above:

2: I prefer YesAsia or .... if you have time ... emule

Hi onebir

In a blog I read about CSD "... Amazingly, there are even websites devoted to the translation and analysis of the script."

I've searched several times but no success. :(

Maybe you have some Chinese keywords to google .. (or to baidu)?

Do you know (by chance) the names of those websites?

Thanks.

PS. I know ... it's a Long March project ... :)