Chinese-Forums

wages for reading a transcript and simple grammar-check?

zozzen

My friend are making a small project about language training. He is discussing the salary with a young American who will help him reading a transcript and do some simple grammar-check, but both of them also have no idea about the market rates for that.

The skills for the project is quite simple, only someone who can speak perfect english in American accent. How do you decide the salary for this project?

1. the transcript is around 2-hour long.

2. it may take around a week to have it finished.

3. the american she's talking with is a college student.

Thanks a lot !

In the job ads I see in Tokyo for such jobs, the going rate is anywhere from about US$10 to US$20 an hour, and that is for non-radio and voice professionals. Normally the potential candidates have to send in an audio recording of their voice along with a resume. The higher end of that pay scale goes to the people with more experience. The longer it takes to record, the more money it costs to produce they audio and as such people who read clearly and don't make a lot of mistakes can make rather good money. If a North American accent is required, you might want to make sure this candidate speaks clear North American English (television style, for example). Canada and the USA are wide and some people from parts of the USA and Canada have really strong accents that can be difficult for non-native speakers.

If us$10-20 is a Tokyo's market rate, i think it may be lower in China. Currently the American asked for US$5/hour, but my friend tried to convince him that China is a poor country with 600-million farmers that can't afford US$5/h. :):lol:

And thanks for advice on accent. His accent is similar to CNN english, though i don't know how to distinguish the subtle differences. I'll ask my friends to cross check it when the first audio is finished.

I did voice over work in Taiwan and received about $15/hour for it. I had absolutely no experience and found the job through a friend. I think $5/hour for someone with no experience, and in the PRC is probably reasonable, if not on the low end.