Chinese-Forums

Tourist to Student Visa Change

terran261

I am an American student, and I have applied for a semester of study at Peking University, however they are quite slow in sending the materials. This wouldn't be an issue except that I will be abroad this summer, which puts me in a difficult position as far as visas go.

Basically, what I'm wondering is what I should do if I won't receive the acceptance letter I need to apply for a student visa in time before I leave? Could I use an e-mailed or faxed acceptance letter for the visa? If it comes to it could I just get a tourist visa and get it changed in China?

Any input is appreciated, and by the way, love the forum.

Hmmm, tough one.

Have you tried asking the Chinese embassy nearest to you about this? I mean, there must have been cases like yours before, so maybe there is a process to solve it.

And anyway, there must be a way to change the Tourist visa for the student visa in mainland china. Think that some people who have been in China, have applied to the University while there. Also, I think in some posts they have asked how to change the student visa, for student and working visa.

Anyway, stay put, these guys know a lot (forum members in general).

Hope they help you.

If you're confident that you will be accepted, then you can simply come here to China on your Tourist Visa and when you get your JW202 form along with the acceptance, you can go to the Chinese visa office and upgrade your visa to Student status.

I'm doing it this way, however I'm applying to 3 schools so the chances of me staying here are much greater than relying on one school to accept me. IMO BLCU, Diquicun (Global Village) and BNU are all good choices, so I will apply to all 3.

Good luck.

i'm not sure, but i dont think diqiucun can give u a jw202 form. a friend of mine was asking me that question recently, and this is my understanding, but if anyone knows first-hand, i would appreciate the info to pass on.

They are utterly unresponsive to E-mail, as many of you have probably experienced, but are quite responsive to faxes. I faxed them yesterday asking if they could fax me those items, and hopefully I will hear back from them soon. If it comes down to the line, I will just get a tourist visa and hope for the best. I'll return with the results for any future people in this situation.

My understanding from reading here and other places is that acceptance is nearly guaranteed, but then I suppose there is always that chance. My "guarantor" is a professor at PKU though, so I would think that 关系 should help at least a little.

Anyway, I'm going to throw in a little crossing fingers guy and hope for the best (sh) Well, he isn't really crossing his fingers but thats close enough. Thanks for the replies folks, I do appreciate the input, and I love the forums here.

I wonder what happens if you pay your 400RMB deposit, get a JW202 form (so you can get a 6 months student/F visa) and then simply don't turn up to class.

Do they write to the PSB and get it all cancelled?

• 4 weeks later...