Chinese-Forums

Wireless networks: open or require hacking

griz326

Most of my trip will be far away from the largest cities, but I am bringing a small computer with me. I'm bringing it for the translation tools, but I am also wondering about internet access.

- Do most of the Internet cafes use wireless networks?

- Are those networks open for use?

- Are the business networks locked down with WEP/WPA?

- Are they open for use?

What is the penalty for hacking into a wireless network?

Would anyone notice?

Most of my trip will be far away from the largest cities, but I am bringing a small computer with me. I'm bringing it for the translation tools, but I am also wondering about internet access.

- Do most of the Internet cafes use wireless networks?

- Are those networks open for use?

- Are the business networks locked down with WEP/WPA?

- Are they open for use?

What is the penalty for hacking into a wireless network?

Would anyone notice?

The most likely sources of wireless hotspots would be cafes, businesses, and homes. Cafes may or may not be locked - the ones which derive revenue from their internet service would have some sort of access restriction/billing scheme, whereas those which provide it as a convenience to their customers would most likely run open networks for the simplicity.

As for businesses, you may find some open networks from smaller ones but the larger businesses with a competent IT department would obviously lock down their wireless networks, or not even have one in the first place.

In residential areas you'll find both locked and open networks.

As for the penalty for hacking, I have no idea what it is. Would anyone notice? I think it depends on who you target. Again, cafes and homes will probably not notice/care as long as long as you didn't do anything illegal. And in that case, it's probably those who are monitoring the general network traffic that would notice rather than the operators of the wireless network. However, I would think you want to be more careful with businesses. And by the way, I'm not suggesting you go around hacking networks. That's just asking for trouble in my opinion. But if you come across an open network and need to check your email or look up directions, I can't see the harm in that.

On the other hand, what you should consider is getting a CDMA 1x PCMCIA card and associated data service from China Unicom. Sure, 1x is not that fast but the service is quite affordable - around 100 RMB/month for unlimited use I believe and the PCMCIA card shouldn't cost more than 600 or 700 RMB. And you'll get better "coverage" than relying on open hotspots.

On the other hand, what you should consider is getting a CDMA 1x PCMCIA card and associated data service from China Unicom. Sure, 1x is not that fast but the service is quite affordable - around 100 RMB/month for unlimited use I believe and the PCMCIA card shouldn't cost more than 600 or 700 RMB. And you'll get better "coverage" than relying on open hotspots.

UK Vodafone have been giving away Novatel Merlin U630 UMTS/GSM data cards for FREE recently. Luckily, they forgot to lock them to their network, so you can use them with China Mobile. I think China Mobile's deal is 200RMB per month but there is a download limit.

Not sure about prices for CDMA data cards, but I know the GSM cards are well over 1500RMB. The prices are cheaper in the US or UK for this type of technology.

China Unicom did offer my Chinese wife a good deal 1400RMB for a CDMA card with 12months airtime included (and China Unicoms deals have no download limits).

UMTS isn't available in China yet, CDMA is faster than GSM, China Unicom (CDMA) is cheaper than China Mobile (GSM), so if you haven't already got a card, CDMA is defeinitely the one to go for.