Chinese-Forums

China Youth University for Political Sciences

Nathan

Has anyone heard of this place?

http://www.lec.cyu.edu.cn/default_e.asp

I am considering going to this place, but it's quite new. They only opened up in 1985, with a staff of 400 and 4000 full-time students. They have a language program which is just about half the price of BLCU. $1000 USD per semester, which is only 7664.50 RMB. Comparing that to BLCU's 2 semester course at $23200 RMB, it's quite understandable that I am inquiring about this place.

I am wondering if there's any fellow expats that have been to this school or know about it's language program, particularly the quality of it heheh. It seems a little too good to be true, and the school is quite young. Any thoughts anyone?

I know the school quite well although I have no idea about the quality of the instruction. The CSL program gets mostly Korean students. The Wangjing district has a lot of apartment complexes urban sprawl and the highest density of Korean residents in all of Beijing.

The school isn't far from the 798 art district or the Lido Hotel. So it is a livable neighbourhood. But it's also a long commute from there to downtown Beijing and it's really impractical to travel anywhere except Wangjing. If budget is a concern, my first choice would be attending the Global Village branch down in Wudaokou and living off campus.

One of the advantages of immersion is the potential for accidental learning through casual social interactions. That's more likely to happen in Wudaokou than Wangjing.

I have been to the Wangjing campus as I have a Chinese friend who goes to school there. The neighborhood is fairly quiet and has a few nice places to eat, but the campus is very small and is mostly a vocational school. Koreans are everywhere there, but that could be a plus as Korean food is awesome. The only badside is that in order to get anywhere you would have to take a bus or taxi to the 城铁 (Light Rail) station which is near Ikea.

Wow, these factors would create a very depressing environment for me I think. I really do not enjoy being far away from the metro lines, and quiet places depress me anyways. I'm now leaning much more towards Diquicun and BLCU.

• 10 months later...

I think Trevelyan had totally misunderstood the difference between China youth university for political sciences(CYU) and Beijing youth university for political sciences(BYU).

CYU located in Xisanhuanbeilu(西三环北路) in the west of beijing while BYU's location is very near from Wangjing where most korean in beijing lives.

I am a graduate from CYU, anyone who are intersting in CYU, don't be hesitate to contact me by cyxkxbj@hotmail.com。 I will try my best to fullfill you.

:lol:

• 8 years later...