Chinese-Forums

Specific questions about find work in China

jcheung_82

Hello,

I am a 25 year old male from Canada (Chinese background) looking to work in China. Currently, I am in the law enforcement/security industry with entry level experience. I graduated from a well-known university in Ontario, Canada majoring in Psychology. I can speak/read/write fluently in English (obviously) and can speak fluently in Chinese (Cantonese only).

I was wondering if there were any employment opportunities for me. I know there are tons of teaching opportunities and some business opportunities, but are there openings for the law enforcement/security field? Just to name a few, here are some positions I would like to get into: Police officer, traffic enforcement officer, customs officer, bodyguard, correctional officer, investigations, security officer/guard for the government (ie. airport security).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!!!

it's my impression that it would be pretty hard for you to get any kind of job working for the Chinese gov't if you are a Canadian national. There might be some exceptions, but I think working security in an airport, being a police officer, etc., would be out of the question.

If you are really a security expert maybe you could get work for some private firm,

Or maybe you could be a nightclub bouncer in Shenzhen! :mrgreen:

I agree with what Xiao Kui said, I think the changes would be very slim chance for someone in your situation to get a government position. You may not know this, but police officers here are forbidden from leaving the country.

That said, I could see opportunities for you in a multinational firm given your language skills, however I don't know how you could go about finding these jobs other than by applyling directly to the companies.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your real reasons for coming to China? (I assume it's not for employment reasons, as jobs in your field would pay much better overseas). If you're not in a rush to find a steady job, you may want to consider volunteering for the 08 Olympics. I hear they've already received a lot of applicants, however they may be looking for people with your skills. And not only would it be a cool experience, it would probably also lead to some good contacts. Anyways, good luck!

Since you are from Canada and speak Cantonese, I wonder if you are a permanent resident of Hong Kong (with right of abode). If you are, you may wish to consider joining the disciplinary forces in Hong Kong, like the Police, for example.

Oh but you will also have to meet the Chinese language requirements (be able to read and write Chinese). :(

No I was born in Canada and lived here all my life.

The reason for wanting to go to China is b/c I want to travel and see more of the world but at the same time I want to get as much law enforcement/security experience as possible since I have very little right now. Other than work, I also want to volunteer some time helping the poverty areas (ie. build homes, etc.) and maybe learn Chinese Kung-Fu.

Does anyone know of any big private security companies I could look employment from? And what is the average pay range for a position as a security officer?

Thanks for all the help!!!!

PS. I can't find any job postings for the 2008 Beijing Olympics???