Chinese-Forums

Palm Treo in kunming???

onebir

Yeah, I just bought a Treo 680 here in Kunming last week after getting fed up with the TX (4 defective screens in one year). The 650's are no longer available.

As far as I know, there's now only one store here that sells palm products. Coming from Yunnan university, it's on the north side of 121大街 right before the minorities university. Look for the green store. They have a web site, http://www.linyapda.com, and apparently can be reached at: 0871-5032089 or 5031537.

I got the 680 for 3600. They're all apparently 水货 from Hong Kong, but they claim it's no problem to send them there for warranty repairs. Hope I never have to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got one yesterday for RMB3500 - doesn't seem to be any room for bargaining there (unless I don't know how to do it :s).

They seemed pretty easy to deal with, & loaded up a bit of software. They also offered to load up a bootleg dictionary, which I assume was plecodict...

Cool! Glad it worked out for you. It's only been about a month, but so far I'm pretty happy with the 680.

You're right, though, when it comes to bargaining that place definitely knows they're the only game in town. I'm sure you could save a bit on Taobao, but I hate Taobao.

Thanks again for the info. Just got to learn how to use the thing now!

Have you managed to hook yours up with a data contract?

And is there any way to choose where on the expansion card things get installed, or do they just have to go in a big jumble? :s (Or have I just not grokked the palm way? :roll: )

Yeah, I set up GPRS through China Mobile soon after buying it. Not sure what to do if you don't have China Mobile. I ended up just calling 10086. If you can follow the Chinese, it's fairly simple. You just need your sim card's password. They have 5元 and 20元 "套餐" plans with 10MB and 50MB/month included respectively (and 0.01/kb over). At least I think that's how it works. If you don't want to do it over the phone, there's a big China Mobile office near Xiao Xi Men.

Not sure about the card,though. Mine's a mess.

Maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but I dislike it enough to willingly pay a few hundred RMB extra to avoid using it. I think it's probably safe enough, though.

Last year I used it maybe 10 times but never to buy electronics. Just found the experience very time-consuming and frustrating. Nearly every seller insisted on using Taobao's chat interface, 旺旺, to negotiate price, quantity, shipping, etc. Seemed to take forever, but I'm not a big fan of chat programs in any language. Several times people backed out saying they no longer had the product or only had one. Also, they used to take US credit cards then stopped (no idea now). Setting up a bank account to buy online was a bit of a pain.

That said, I never felt ripped off or received something other than I ordered. I have several Chinese friends who seem to buy everything on Taobao (including expensive windows mobile phones).

• 2 weeks later...