Chinese-Forums

Medical check-up for Z visa

nomad

Does anyone know if you still have to get a medical check-up in your home country just to apply for the Z-visa?

The Chinese Embassy in the USA mentions this in their FAQ but it was posted in 2003.

I know that I need to get a medical check-up once I'm in China to get my FEC/ residence permit. But was wondering if anyone had up to date information or had done this recently to get their Z-visa in their home country.

Thanks for any information.

The UK embassy required me to get a medical cert before they issued my Z visa. I had applied for the express service and only had days before traveling when they phoned me an asked me to send it by fax as they had forgotten to ask for it. I had to quickly go to the doctor and get it filled out. My doctor laughed at the requirements for chest X-ray, ECG and some of the other rather eccentric examinations.

And yes you have to go through the whole procedure again once you get to china as they probably will not accept the foreign one. It's not expensive in china for the medical so don't worry about the expense.

If you're already in China, it's easier to get the physical here. As they give you two copies of the exam results, one to get your Z-visa, and the second one for your residency and/or alien employment permit.

I also have to get a medical check-up for Z visa next week. All results have to be filled in a special form called "Health Certificate for Foreigners". But what concerns me is how long does it take to issue Z visa? I'll go to China on 11th July. Do I still have time to obtain visa on time?

It only takes a few days to process if you have the right documents. There is usually an express service you can pay extra for if you want. I got my Z visa with just 10 days to go. (The school sent the wrong documents so I had to wait to the last for the correct paperwork to arrive.)

UPDATE:

I went and got my health exam on Friday, and they no longer do same day results.

However, you can have them send your results to you for 20 kuai. It takes three days to get the results, and they deliver it on the third day.

Any Americans done this still? I've seen conflicting information on Dave's ESL Cafe and Lonely Planet. People on these 2 forums are saying that you don't need the medical check up in your HOME COUNTRY anymore to apply for the Z-visa. Anyone out there have an opinion about this.

Thanks for all the previous posts.

To my understanding, the official line on the new regulation is that Physical Examinations will in the near future need to be Authenticated before being submitted to the school. Additionally, there appears to be a new requirement that suggests Proof of Medical Insurance is now required (Zhejiang Province)