Chinese-Forums

Freelance web design in China

twobucks

Hello all, I run a web design business in Singapore. At this moment, I'm thinking of moving to China to reunion with my wife-to-be and hopefully get married this year over there.

After much researches I gathered that I can apply for L visa and remain in China for longer period (then again I'm not sure exactly how long.) And I understand that I can't work while holding L visa. Now here's my question:

What if I accept jobs (web design) from overseas through the internet, and get paid through my bank accounts in Singapore, or PayPal, am I considered against the law?

I'd like to know if anyone has been doing this and without getting into trouble. One thing is for sure, I can't possibly remain in China without doing anything to derive income. And I find it hard to go look for a job when I have been my own boss for the past 3 years in Singapore.

Please share your knowledge. Thanks in advance!

If all the money/business is changing hands overseas and online, there shouldn't be any problem at all. I doubt it's illegal at all, and even if is there is no way for the authorities to check (unlike teachers teaching on L visas that can get caught when their schools get inspected).

For a longer term solution, you might want to look into getting a business visa (F, I believe). I know a lot of people that are working on things where their pay comes from overseas and are living totally legally on a business visa here while doing it.

As I understand it, you're only liable for tax on your income derived from (mainland) Chinese sources (until you've been here for five years continuously, or something like that). So I'd second jbiesnecker's comments.

Re visas, it should be no problem getting a 6m F visa in Hongkong (no supporting documentation required) & it seems to be possible to do this repeatedly without any difficulties. You could combine the visa run with a cheap flight down to Singapore (Tiger Airways) & see the relatives too ;-)

Thanks jbiesnecker for the affirmation.

Regarding F Visa, for what I gathered I firstly need to be sponsored/invited by a company in China, or by my own company in order to apply for it. And even if I got it, I can only remain there for 30 days on each visit, which can be a hassle.

Since I'll be getting married there, I should be able to get a L Visa which allows me to stay up to a year for each renewal. I'll have to hold on for 5 years and I'll be able to apply for D Visa next, then I'll be able to live and work happily ever after, after all.... (hopefully)

Hi,

Just out of curiosity since I am in a similar situation as yours. Currently I am a freelance software developer but all my clients are in europe and i will be moving to china at the end of the year with my chinese wife.

How do you get your business? Is it through agents, website or some other mean?

Hello simplyolaf,

I'm still not in China yet. But for what's worth, I used to come up number one in Google when people searched for "freelance web designer singapore" (as I'm based in Singapore), just this alone was giving me 90% of my total business; until recently someone hacked my site and uploaded 1,500++ pages of redirect pages which I believe jeopardized my ranking in Google. Now I am down to 63rd. I just need to clean up the site and move my ranking up again.

Anyway, for our case, I believe we can only rely on the internet to get us businesses (or existing clients), since we are not suppose to "look for business" in mainland.

Regarding F Visa, for what I gathered I firstly need to be sponsored/invited by a company in China, or by my own company in order to apply for it.

Not necessary if you apply through a travel agent in HK.

And even if I got it, I can only remain there for 30 days on each visit, which can be a hassle.

More of a problem (unless you're living near HK). Sounds like you're a US citizen - I assumed you were Singaporean.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, onebir. Let me talk to some agents here in Singapore and see if I can get that sorted out here. The last time I visited China I was on 1 year multiple entries L visa (60 days each stay). In fact it's still valid until this October'07. I'll check with them if this will serve the purpose.

Cheers!