Chinese-Forums

Rough Guide to China

wix

I haven't seen a copy, but there was a review of it on the Oriental List mailing list recently. Basically, it got absolutely slated, and the reviewer suggested that they hadn't actually gone to China, just sat at home with the 2nd edition and added in some snippets from the Thorntree. From the examples given it did sound like it had missed out some pretty important stuff - like not updating the section of budget accomodation in Beijing, which has really changed over the last few years.

If you want I'll see if I still have the email,

Roddy

• 1 month later...

I don't have a copy of the email anymore, and the Oriental List (the email list through which I got it) unfortunately doesn't maintain an archive. General opinion seems to be that the LP is your best bet, and while it is inevitably sketchy in parts, it does a good all-round job.

Roddy

• 2 years later...

2005 edition of Rough Guide China just out and it seems they have made some substantial updates, more so than the last one. This is based on my reading of the yunnan section, at least. In fact, it lists some jems (places, guesthouses) that the 2005 LP China does not.