Chinese-Forums

Prose translations

djwebb2004

In most other languages, eg studying French, German etc, there are books of graded translations into the language, with a key - prose translations. I think when you are learning a language, the most useful thing is to practice translating INTO the language. But I have never seen graded translation textbooks for Chinese. Is there a good book out there? Thanks for any tips.

Never seen a book of graded translations from English to French for French learners. Are you sure they exist? Do you have a link?

I do find read E-to-C translation books very helpful for learning written Chinese grammar and sentence structure. Here is a book I bought recently. It's written for native Chinese rather than for Chinese learners, though.

http://www.joyo.com/detail/product.asp?prodid=bkbk609631&ref=SR&uid=168-5970982-6240241

英汉翻译技能指引

作者:刘宓庆

A teacher capable of correcting the translations would also be able to supply suitable texts. I think it is impossible for a book to cover all possible solutions. My very competent asst. professor (a Swede) used to comment our efforts like, "I would write slightly differently, but I can't swear that no Chinese would ever put it your way. Do it my way, and it's covered by the grammars I know and my experience".