Chinese-Forums

Residence Permit Problems

Nathan

I have been in China now for 3 weeks. After waiting 2 for my acceptance into Tsinghua university, I have now begun looking for apartments. I have found a good place to live, one that suits me perfectly, however, the man who rents these places out is not the original owner. He simply rents the apartments from the real owner (who is in some far off country) and rents them out again to make profit. The problem with this is that he cannot register me at the police station so that I can get the "REGISTRATION FORM OF TEMPORARY RESIDENCE" that is all so important to get my student visa and into Tsinghua.

I am friends with the owner of the hostel that I have been staying at since I got here. He's offered to help me, but he does not have the status of a landlord, but the status of a hotel owner. I have read in http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/13016-residence-permit-from-start-to-finishthat, "All foreign residents (regardless of type of visa) who live off campus or on campus home stay and not in a hotel, must register with the local police precinct..." Here's where my question comes in. Is it still possible for my friend, the hostel owner, to register me for the RFTR, and once I get my residence permit, I can move into that perfect place that I found?

I am beginning to look into other, cheap craphole apartments so I can stay there for 1 month to get me registered and then get out of there. Any advice?

Hi,

I have read a thread some time ago regarding the PSB(public security bureau) occasionally visiting students who register there. I think you are meant to always register with them even if you move place. If they did visit you and found that you gave them the wrong address... i think you could get into trouble.

On the other hand, maybe the fact that the landlord doesn't want you to register in the PSB should be a cause of alarm for you...

My advice is: look elsewhere. It shouldn't be hard to find a flat rented out by the true owner. Renting from someone who is not the owner is dodgy and can lead to problems. Even if you can register at the hostel, if you then move to a different address, your registration will no longer be valid and if the police check up on you, as they have been doing a lot in Beijing recently, then you will at best have to re-register and at worst be fined.

I would recommend just being patient and having a more thorough look around

Be aware that your landlord will have to pay 5-7% of the rent as taxes to get a certificate allowing you to register, and will probably refuse, since Chinese tenants don't have to register and so the landlords don't generally pay the tax...

yeah, they will check up on you. I had a visit from the PSB after I returned to Shanghai to my apartment. They will check to see if your information is valid.

It's best to do things right. I found a rather nice apartment, furnished, in a good area, 5 minutes from the subway here in Shanghai for 1200 rmb a month. Took a bit of work but the effort paid off.

All the real estate people are all different. I went to many who said I wouldn't be able to find such a price in my area. I think they just see a Lao Wai and want to rent a higher priced apartment. Do some leg work and it will pay off.

Thank you everyone.

Yes I've decided to forget about that apartment. The price was too high, and I have found a few places below 1500rmb/month close to the university. The living standard is lower, but I can get the registration done no problem and I can save money.

Thank you for informing me about the dangers. My alternative plan for that place was to register at one place and then change apartments, but now I can see that's a big nono. Cheers all.