Chinese-Forums

Beishida placement test + housing

Sophie

I am planning to go to Beishida (Beijing Normal University) this semester (sept 2007-jan 2007) for following a Mandarin course for foreigners. I was wondering how I could prepare myself for the placement test and how the placement test exactly looks like. Do they test you seperately on writing, speaking and hearing? My speaking level is better than my writing level, so will they put me in a higher level for the speaking classes and a lower level for the writing classes or will they put my in one level for both writing, speaking and hearing?

Another question: I was thinking of renting a room in a apartment together with Chinese people, are there any good website where I can find advertisements? What is the normal price for a room? I saw some websites, but I have the feeling that they are charging ''Western' prices.

Thank you!

Why do you want to prepare for the placement test? All that'll do is mean you get placed in a level beyond your capabilities.

If it helps, they tend to put people in higher classes anyway. It's easy to move down (I did after one hour of classes when I couldn't understand a word the lecturer said!).

As for doing different levels for reading/speaking etc, it is possible but the placement tests won't sort that out. You'll need to go to the correct office (in the library building) and explain what you want after you've been graded/placed.