Chinese-Forums

Tutoring on a student visa

princess piddle

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could comment on the legality of doing some English tutoring while studying in China on a student visa. I keep being told that I will be able to teach English part time while studying, but I have also heard that it is illegal to work on a student visa. However, I've also read on this forum that tutoring is not "technically illegal". Could someone clarify for me please? Thanks.

pp

My understanding based on talking to a friend of mine who did some tutoring while studying in China is that it is "illegal." That is to say if "they" were to find out, and were in a bad mood, you could be deported. I believe It is not uncommon for people on student visas to do tutoring, as tutoring is pretty informal by its nature.

Personally I would go for it, but maybe try to offer your services amongst people you meet, rather than posting ads everywhere or some other more overt fashion.