Chinese-Forums

Chinese Cities - Quality of Life Index

liuzhou

You know I've spoken with a lot of different people about cities all around China and I've never heard a good thing about Guangzhou (this isn't an exaggeration). I know not all of it's going to be true, but from what I saw of the city, and if half of what I've heard about the crime in the city is true, I don't think it should be up so high on the list.

Hopefully Qingdao will have earned it's spot at #12, I'm planning to go there.

Also surprised Changsha isn't on the list, it's a nice little city.

I was surprised to see Nanjing rate as high as number 16, a city I found to be intolerably lame and boring

For the most part I agree.

Do you think it should be higher or lower? Why not take the time to explain your reasons

I heard Nanjing was a pretty good city before I came here. I really get a sence of "blah" from this city.

For a supposedly modern city of just under 7 million they really haven't earned that #26 spot.

I always walk down side walks that are wide enough for a car to drive down, but there are so many bicycles parked on the sidewalk that you typically only have enough room for one or two people. Many time's I'm forced to walk on the stairs because there's no space on the sidewalk.

Also not forgetting that a lot of the sidewalks are so poorly laid that there are huge ripples which gather and hold a lot of water when it rains, making the problem of sidewalk navigation all the more fun.

Nanjing has quite a few places and a lot of stuff, but getting to these places is really inconvenient. The busses are usually late arriving in packs of two or three, always packed to the brim during rush hour.

Trying to get a taxi can be a bit of a chore as well (note that I was in Changsha before Nanjing, and there is a plentiful amount of taxies there starting at 3RMB instead of 10. There's usually no problem with taxies there, so the bar has been set kind of high).

Outside of the downtown core Nanjing is really just a so-so city, very residential in my opinion.

But anyway, I think that what the students percieved as the places where they could best pursue their careers is pretty similar to this list.
I'll second that notion. I got a sence of propaganda while reading this list as well.

Definitely interesting to look at, but I'm not going to put too much stock in to the list, everyone's opinion of a good city varies.

You know I've spoken with a lot of different people about cities all around China and I've never heard a good thing about Guangzhou (this isn't an exaggeration). I know not all of it's going to be true, but from what I saw of the city, and if half of what I've heard about the crime in the city is true, I don't think it should be up so high on the list.

Hopefully Qingdao will have earned it's spot at #12, I'm planning to go there.

Also surprised Changsha isn't on the list, it's a nice little city.

I think what was pointed out early about GDP is the reason for why none of it makes sense to those of us that would look at crime, health care, pollution, etc.

Changsha has like no GDP. Amazing place but income is way to small where as guangzhou has a larger GDP.

HI Hero Doug,

I have to disagree about Nanjing. It is great for cycling around the down town. Yes we get bicycle traffic jams and you can stop twice at red lights but it is much better than the lack of bike lanes on half the roads in Shanghai and the stop and go traffic of the the downtown. Or the sprawl of Beijing where it takes 40 minutes if you're lucky to get anywhere. Plus though it is smaller than its 7 million take would make it to be it has large french oak trees that cover many of the major roads and bike lanes.

It's bar district although not hoppin' on a weekday is all in one spot and there is a student feel to the place. (I agree though that the suburbs are more residential than other cities and not so interesting.)

Nanjing is a great city.

Simon;)