Chinese-Forums

Chinese high schools: strictness and rules

Peeter

I'm going to Shenzhen to study in a Chinese high school for a year, starting at the end of the next month. It's a YFU (Youth For Understanding) program.

I finally got a few papers describing some things in China, and I'd like to ask about a few aspects:

After 9 obligatory school years students who want to have a higher education and want to go to university have three more years of high school, which is not free.

How many people go to high school after middle school? Is it very expensive to go to a high school?

To enter the university students have to pass a standard exam, which is very hard. Only the best students can enter the university. The competition is very high and this is also the reason why high school students don't seem to have any free time and study hard all day. Besides long school hours the students get a lot of homework so that when they come home they are studying till late at night.

Opinions? Is Chinese high school really so difficult? :-?

Classes usually start at 7:20 in the morning and last till 16:30 in the afternoon. There are 9 to 10 different classes a day.

Here in Estonia the average is 7 to 8 classes a day, a school day begins at 8:15 and ends, I'd say, at 15:00 or 15:55 in the afternoon. So wow.. Maybe there are many exceptions to these lengths in China? :D

Also, what about school rules? How many schools allow cosmetic enhancements, such as hair coloring/chemical revamping, long hair on boys, make up and fingernails on girls? These things are generally not allowed at all, right? How many schools are there that don't have a compulsory school uniform? Personally I'm hoping that a considerable number of schools in Shenzhen would allow students to express themselves, since it's such a young and modernized city (the average age, I read, is 26!). Then again, I have no real experience nor knowledge whatsoever, so that's where you guys come in. :D

Regards,

Peeter-Paul

Every school student in Shenzhen wears the same style uniform: a blue and white tracksuit.

I think every school in the whole of China wears that uniform. You know how they all love to stand out ...

After 9 obligatory school years students who want to have a higher education and want to go to university have three more years of high school, which is not free.

My students put it this way, though this isn't mandatory, unless you want to be collecting plastics from trash bins for the rest of your life, you must go to "senior middle school". Also, from what I understand, going to senior middle school is not necessary to write the university entrance exam, however senior middle school, especially the last year, prepares you for this exam. So, unless you're a genius, you go on to senior middle school.

To enter the university students have to pass a standard exam, which is very hard. Only the best students can enter the university. The competition is very high and this is also the reason why high school students don't seem to have any free time and study hard all day. .

Students just finished taking this exam last week. A Chinadaily.cn article reported that 10 million students tested for 5.7 million spots in universities across the country. So, yes, competition is very high.

Classes usually start at 7:20 in the morning and last till 16:30 in the afternoon. There are 9 to 10 different classes a day.

This is the standard schedule. Many students also attend extra lessons after classes end at their normal school. These extra classes sometimes go until 8 pm or later.

Chinese students have it pretty rough.

A picture of Chinese students in their last year of high school preparing for the college entrance exam. Students in their last year of high school generally spend ALL of their waking hours doing practice problems.

Those books and paper stacked on the desks are practice problems. The Chinese word for these practice problems is “题海” - "sea of practice problems".

http://yarb.newssc.org/system/2007/06/04/010365428.shtml

10174688_768980.jpg

http://www.lifeweek.com.cn/2007-06-14/0000118759.shtml

9334.jpg

I agree with the poster who said they spend every waking hour doing practice problems. I my school in Jiangsu, they even cut Gym and music class so the students could focus on prepares for the exams in the last two years of school.

Teachers usually make as much money in evening after school tutoring as in the day classes. Students regularly stay up to 1 or 2 am and only get 5 -6 hours of sleep a night.

Some cities close off roads around schools for the exam, and designate certain amount of taxis only for Exam takers travel. It is very serious .

Basically, unless you're related to a leader this exam determines the quality of the rest of your life.

The highschool students that happen to meet in my english classes ( back up going to Canadian Universities) . Are miserable in their Chinese highschools it seems.

University is much easier by comparision. It used to be if you turned up an got over a 50 you passed, now it is starting to get harder but is still nothing like their life-less highschool days.

Have fun,

Simon:)

What you guys are saying worries me. In Estonia, high school, unless perhaps if you're in an "elite school" (there are about 5 of them), high school is very chill. We have lots of free time after school, so people are able to go to all sorts of activity clubs. Looks like it'll be a bit less interesting (and perhaps more difficult) for me in China. :(

But what about school rules regarding appearance? Suppose a student (in a school in Shenzhen) were to colour his hair. How would the school authorities react? Would he/she be forced to cut the hair?

Additionally, I've heard that in schools in China, before the beginning of the lessons, all students go to the school stadium to exercise for some time. Is that in every school?

Two more quick questions: :D

Another Estonian who went to China (Beijing) relatively recently said that in her school, there were about 50 students in every class. Is that the norm in big city schools? Shenzhen too?

She also said that in Physical Education, students work out in their school uniforms. What the heck? How often is it like that?

Regards,

Peeter-Paul

We have lots of free time after school, so people are able to go to all sorts of activity clubs.

Your fellow classmates will most likely not have any free time. What grade will you be joining?

Suppose a student (in a school in Shenzhen) were to colour his hair. How would the school authorities react? Would he/she be forced to cut the hair?

You'll get enough attention and stares just for not being Chinese. If your hair is naturally a color other than black you'll stand out more so. If you colored your hair to an unnatural color I would expect you'd receive some degree of negative feedback "for being a distraction". Otherwise, most mainland Chinese students just wouldn't do something like this.

Another Estonian who went to China (Beijing) relatively recently said that in her school, there were about 50 students in every class. Is that the norm in big city schools?

In Harbin some classes have up to 75 students. One student of mine sits in with 78 others. Also, they don't change classrooms between periods, the teachers do.

Don't let anything you read here frighten you. I don't think you have any reason to be scared about this adventure you're embarking on. In fact, you seem to be doing all the right things in regards to research which says a lot about your character. Nonetheless, your year in school here should be exceptionally enlightening.

Otherwise, most mainland Chinese students just wouldn't do something like this.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Many Chinese students get their hair coloured, although it's usually limited to brown/orange highlights (unless the student already has grey hairs from being under so much stress, and then they'll just colour it black :mrgreen: ). Like you said, schools might step in if the student coloured it blue or bright pink, but colouring it to any kind of "natural" colour is both accepted and quite common.

I'll also add that just like in the west, some schools might have their own school rules and dress codes that forbid this, but it's not some China-wide regulation.

Many Chinese students get their hair coloured, although it's usually limited to brown/orange highlights (unless the student already has grey hairs from being under so much stress, and then they'll just colour it black ).

This was my intended meaning. Sorry, I goofed and wasn't clear. :oops:

I don't live in Shenzhen, so I don't mean to scare you away or anything, but the grade 9 students in my school are all required to wear the terrible short and spiky Chinese girl style hair... No long hair, no coloring, absolutely no makeup (nails have to be kept short). The one school uniform that they get is worn five days a week...

There are no extra curricular activities (unless you consider cleaning the school an extra curricular activity), especially for grade 9s who will prepare for their senior school entrance exams... I would recommend seeing if you could change to grade 8 instead. If you don't speak much Chinese, it would definitely be worth it, because they have a lighter work load, and won't spend the whole year on their practice tests...

There is no way I would wish Chinese schooling on any child/teenager/person who was not prepared for it. I don't mean to scare you... Good luck!

Hey estonia guy,

Many schools uniform is sort of like matching sweat shirt and sweat pants, (track suits for british people) . My school only did the full school morning exercises once a week but other schools do it everyday. It is not hard and doesn't take long, like 5-10 minutes. Half the people don't try hard, and they usually don't change the music all semester.

The best thing you can do is try to get placed with a liberal family , who will let you go out on your own. Convince them with a cell phone, and explore Shenzhen on your own.

Shenzhen is richer, newer , right next to HK more open so it should be significantly different from Harbin.

If you are offered opportuinities to do things grab them, even Taichi can be interesting if you do it with swords and spears. Badminton, Pingpong, and football are all things you should ask around an research. Don't be afraid to go to the local University to look up these things. Also getting Univeristy friend who have more free time will make life easier on you. Don't be like Chinese high school student. Be a foreign student studying in Shenzhen getting the most out of his experience.

Remember almost everything in China is negotiatable. So don't take blank rejections of behavior a face value.

Also ask them to take you travelling?

Have fun,

SImon:)

@ kdavid

I will be joining either the 10-th or 11-th grade (first or second high school grade). 10-th would perhaps be a bit easier in terms of schoolwork, but I'm considering going to the 11-th grade, since the students are closer to my age.

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but Chinese go to school when they're 6-7 years old, right? haven't thought about it before, but it seems like I'll be either 2 or 3 years older than my classmates: I've already finished the 11-th grade and Estonians start school a year later than most others (ages 7-8). So in addition to the language barrier and radical cultural differences we'll also have an age gap. That's just swell.. :D

Thanks for the encouragement. You're so very correct: my year will be, first and foremost, exceptionally enlightening. I'm thinking more and more that doing research beforehand was a great idea. I could do with some preliminary enlightenment, lest I drown in a myriad of foreignness.

@ the theme of personal appearance

It's good to hear that there isn't some China-wide regulation regarding hair color, nails and make-up. I could make do with school uniforms: gives me a new experience, plus, it gives school a more U.S.S.R.-like context, probably making me appreciate the liberty of Estonia more. :wink:

Funny, in the school of the Estonian girl who went to China, a girl's parents had to come to school to convince the principle that their daughter's hair is naturally dark brown. Oh well, she was sent to some backwater Muslim school, so it's likely that I shouldn't judge by that example. (Unless, of course, I'll be sent to a similar school, which I actually find unlikely at the moment.)

@ simonlaing

Yeah, liberty is going to be a first priority with my family. Can't do anything if I'm not allowed to do anything. :wink: Traveling is a must. Regarding sports, the idea of doing some Chinese martial art + gym afterwards appeals to me greatly.

Regards,

Peeter-Paul

Hey Peeter,

You've got a fantastic attitude and I have a feeling that you'll do very well over here. simonlaing is right in regards to establishing your independence.

I will be joining either the 10-th or 11-th grade (first or second high school grade). 10-th would perhaps be a bit easier in terms of schoolwork, but I'm considering going to the 11-th grade, since the students are closer to my age.

This is good. You won't be in with the last-year students who spend all of their time studying, so the probability that your classmates will have extra time to hang out (not often mind you) is greater. The grade 10 students here in Harbin generally have a good amount of free time to meet after school and play basketall / go shopping etc.

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but Chinese go to school when they're 6-7 years old, right?

Generally, this is correct, at least up here in Harbin. Some students may enroll in other classes earlier, for example an English school for a year or two. Also, I have some five-year-old students who have already started attending school.