Chinese-Forums

So glad to find here,I'm a Chinese student of Beishida(BNU)

ClaudiaSun

I'm a student of Beishida.(Chinese)

I tutored a student from UCLA for two semesters and we become very very good friend. I'm so sad that my friend is leaving tomorrow afternoon.

I asked some of my foreign friends and found that in our campus they have no organizations to help them. I don't know why, maybe because their teacher will help them?

But I really think foreign students need some help here. Because .....of too many reasons.

So I want to set up a group to help them.

But I don't know where to start.

I don't want to put this group under the control of Student Union. Because there'll be no freedom.

呃......

Do you have any suggestions?

I'm preparing for my final exams, so I can't get to start now.

But I will try after that.(7.7)

Please help me. :) I need your suggestion

I didn't have any problems in BNU once I'd settled.

I found it very confusing for the first week though. Where were all the canteens (part of the problem was that they knocked them all down over the Summer and didn't give us the new maps)? Where do we charge the canteen card? What does "jiao er lou" mean? Where did that chinese guy get his bubble tea (珍珠奶茶) from?

However, until I had settled, I wouldn't have found you or your notice! So, once everyone has settled, do they still need help? I'd say ... yes.

You could show people the two on-campus supermarkets; where the bubble tea and kebab places are; how to get the student bus card, which bus goes to Carrefour, the bike shops opposite the South gate etc - a sort of campus and local area orientation course ;)

in Nanjing we had a friendship club. I am not sure if it was registered or not, but ithey met on wednesday nights to debate a topic and was a good way for foreign and chinese students to interact.

It was also a good way to find language partners, and find people to travel to the tourist spots in your city. I think they had to tell a professor and a janitor so they could have access to the classroom in the evening.

I had already been in Nanjing for awhile when it started so didn't join but it seemed to help a lot of people.

I think if you have a topic for meetings and food people will be interested. Also because there are not too many chinese or too many foreigners other wise it might scare some people off.

good luck,

Simon:)

thank you so much!:)

adrian说得对,那些琐碎的生活细节 对于我们来说很重要

simon 的 friendship club——好建议!:)

我得开始准备这些了

一句中国俗语——光说不练假把式

:)

Claudiasun-

I will be studying at BNU this summer and would definitely join your BNU Friendship Club. I have been very fortunate to learn so much about BNU and this area from AdrianLondon and Roddy's posts, but I don't think my fellow students will be as informed when they arrive.

I believe all of us newbie's will have similar experiences as AdrianLondon when we arrive, and it would be nice to have a guiding hand as we take our first steps.

friendship club not established yet

cause students are all busy preparing for final exams

I just post some maps and some other info on the bullitin in no.2 Bld. and left my email on it

but no one connect me

maybe my posts were all taken away, I'll go check tomorrow

in which day will you arrive & leave

I can show you around and tell you where to get IC card, SIM......

and about library, restaurant, supermarket, house renting, secondhand bike, gym, hotel......

really hope that all of you enjoy your stay here and know more about China, about Beijing

I have a list of useful websites here

and I have collected some interesting things (cultural videos, music, pictures......)

they are for friendshipclub

I'll be glad to show you them if you want

I will start the club as soon as possible after final exam

I just post some maps and some other info on the bullitin in no.2 Bld. and left my email on it

The semester has finished; there aren't any foreign students there! I don't know about the short-term Summer course dates. They're better looked after, anyway. They go on trips and stuff. But the next "proper" semester will start 1st or 2nd week in September.

Claudiasun- I will arrive around July 12th-13th for the summer program. I will certainly contact you when I arrive and truly appreciate the offer. Its amazing to be able to have someone who is willing show us newbies around the school! I am so excited about this opportunity!!

Adrianlondon- are you still planning on studying at BNU this summer and fall? I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude for all of your posts. It was reading all your comments that helped me decide to pick BNU!

Take care.

David

Adrianlondon- are you still planning on studying at BNU this summer and fall?

Hi! Nope - I studied from Sept 06 until Jan 07; just the one semester. I did it as a career break and as a "well, why not?" kind of thing.

I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude for all of your posts

No need! If I ever pop back to Beijing for a quick holiday (I was there 3 weeks ago just to catch up on cheap bubble tea and baozi! Oh, and my friends of course) you can say thanks ;) The best you can do is keep posting here once you get to BNU so that the info on this forum stays up to date.

reading all your comments that helped me decide to pick BNU

Gosh - hope you like it when you get there! ;) I loved it - not just BNU, but the whole study thing, and being abroad thing, and making fantastic new friends thing.

AdrianLondon- I promise, if you travel back to BeiJing, I will pay for all the baozi and boba tea you can eat, drink!! Thanks again for all your advice. I will certainly keep up the comments regarding BNU when I arrive.

Claudiasun, Thank you for the offer. I'll arrive on the Friday (13th), so I'll be in contact with you soon. Good luck with your exams.