Chinese-Forums

Was after help with name translation but now.....

Impreza_wrcsti

Hi everyone.

As said I was going to ask for help to translate my 2 sons names, Joshua and Sebastian but apparently this would not be possible. Unless Im wrong?

So I was wondering if someone would have some idea about what I could possible have written instead? Perhaps something wise like...... well thats the end of my thought process. :D Its so I can get a small tattoo on the top of my right arm. I really want to have something to show how important my 2 sons are.

Anyway thanks for any advice or help.

As said I was going to ask for help to translate my 2 sons names, Joshua and Sebastian but apparently this would not be possible. Unless Im wrong?
I thought I've helped you with the 2 names in the other thread, unless that threat was by someone else. Have a look at the following thread, names 1 and 2 are for Sebastian and Joshua, respectively:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/176-chinese-poetry26

I think perhaps the poster is referring to the fact that these transliterations of names (note they are not translations) don't really convey meaning or make much sense in Chinese, and instead of getting an English name tattooed in Chinese, would maybe prefer instead some saying or message in Chinese that would express how much his sons mean to him - without necessarily referring to their names. See this thread for a similar discussion.

[pop=oldest son/dàérzǐ]大儿子[/pop],[pop=small/xiǎo]小[/pop][pop=son/érzi]儿子[/pop],[pop=I love you/wǒàinǐmen]我爱你们[/pop]!

I agree that transliterations of western names don't really make any sense, so your better off finding something with a little more meaning. I'm not sure what else to suggest though. Good luck.

=ImronI think perhaps the poster is referring to the fact that these transliterations of names (note they are not translations) don't really convey meaning or make much sense in Chinese, and instead of getting an English name tattooed in Chinese, would maybe prefer instead some saying or message in Chinese that would express how much his sons mean to him - without necessarily referring to their names. See this thread for a similar discussion.

Yes Imron thats correct. I really dont want to get Joshua and Sebastian in chinese on my arm for the rest of my life only to find that it means complete rubbish or toilet and cheese.

Therefore if someone has an alternative, I would be very interested on hearing and seeing it.

Thanks again.

Hi again

Ok found this site... Wondering if these symbols are correct?

Sebastian: http://www.chinatownconnection.com/chinese-symbol-sebastian.htm

Joshua: http://www.chinatownconnection.com/chinese-symbol-joshua.htm

Also should they be written like that or down to up? Remembering its for the top of my arm. :D

Thanks once again in advance.

Wondering if these symbols are correct?

As others have pointed out, they are not translations but transliterations. There are not "correct" ways to write the two names in Chinese, but some transliterations are generally more acceptable while others are not.

Regarding your #8, the one for "Joshua" is exactly the same one that I've told you at my #3. It is OK. As for the one for "Sebastian", I think "薩巴斯軒" (as in the link provided), "塞巴斯森" (as in the "other" thread), and "塞巴斯蒂安" as provided by Dani_man at #4 are all OK.

Chinese can be written horizontally from left to right (or even from right to left if you choose to) or vertically.

In chinese there is a proverb of hoping that your sons are successful, or 'become dragons'. I vote you get 2 Chinese dragons on your arm with a J and an S clutched in their talon's. One dragon can be bigger and one can be smaller to represent your older and smaller son. Eventually, if you ever have a girl, you get get a phoenix tattooed on your arm somewhere too:mrgreen: This way you still have a Chinese related story to tell people....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon :mrgreen: or just get the character for dragon on your arm (as seen in seal script at this link)...less characters...less pain...and if someone was convinced to get a Chinese character tattoo, then go for nice script of some sort....

The characters you posted most recently for "Joshua" are simplified Chinese characters. You may want to consider going with traditional characters:

喬舒亞

For more information on what I mean by simplified vs. traditional characters, please see this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_character#Origins_and_history

In chinese there is a proverb of hoping that your sons are successful, or 'become dragons'. I vote you get 2 Chinese dragons on your arm with a J and an S clutched in their talon's. One dragon can be bigger and one can be smaller to represent your older and smaller son. Eventually, if you ever have a girl, you get get a phoenix tattooed on your arm somewhere too This way you still have a Chinese related story to tell people....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon[/url'] or just get the character for dragon on your arm (as seen in seal script at this link)...less characters...less pain...and if someone was convinced to get a Chinese character tattoo, then go for nice script of some sort....

Any examples? :D ;)

I'm attaching a jpg of what I posted. It's Joshua in traditional Chinese characters. The middle character is the same as the one you posted but the first and last ones are in their older versions. The "Sebastian" image you posted has no simplified characters so it would be the same.

If you go with this, you'd probably want to get someone to render it in some nicer lettering than this pixellated mess.

1186_thumb.attach