Chinese-Forums

how much for silk?

toygirl

can anybody tell me what a good price for silk per meter is? i'm looking for the kind of silk that they use to make the chinese dresses. rather odd question i know, but my mom wants me to send some to her. prices at the silk market start at i think 150-300rmb per meter, how much could i get them down? 30-80 per meter?

I sent some home for Christmas. Five meters each of a light-weight blue on blue and a heavier, elaborate pattern came to a total of 500 kuai. Of course, I had practically walked out the door twice before getting this price.

Just make sure to take a lighter with you, and make sure they let you burn a tiny corner of the silk before you buy. Real silk will turn to fine ash, will stop burning when you take the flame away and the burning smell will smell like burnt/singed hair. Fake silk will melt, drip and/or continue to burn once the flame is removed. It's no good getting a cheap price if it turns out all you bought was polyester.