Chinese-Forums

iPod Video GCSE Chinese "Flashcards"

Nephand

The Edexcel Examining Board provide a core list of vocab in their specification at www.edexcel.org.uk - I've taken this and put it into small(ish) image files [PNG format] which can be copied over to an iPod Video (5G is the only one I've tried it on).

If someone wants to try this on their nano, feel free to let me know how it goes. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you could read the english/pinyin on that screen.

If you set your iPod's slideshow up you can have it randomly shuffle the cards. The organisation of the images can be less than perfect I've found. I've just ended up with all the cards in one big 'chinese' folder that it cycles through indiscriminately. I leave that to you to figure out the nuances of!

Note: Watch out for trick 女 - I couldn't figure out the umlauted u (which I now know, but too late) so there are a few 'trick' flashcards in there that aren't correctly pinyin-ed. Personally I remember those correctly because they're distinctive. If you have an image editor / Macromedia fireworks you might be able to edit them yourself.

Target Level: Beginner

Education Training Employment

House Home Daily Routine

Location Direction

Media and Social Activities

Other Words

Places and Travel

Weather

Complete Set (18MB)

[my apologies if filefactory doesn't work - I just googled a file hosting site]

Just stuck a batch on my nano - it's new and I'd been meaning to see what it was like with photos anyway. They're perfectly readable - the pinyin could perhaps be bigger for comfortable viewing, but no major problem.

File factory works fine but there's a whole slew of adverts and pop-ups to get through before you get the actual file. If you want, email the lot to admin@chinese-forums.com and I'll upload them directly to the server. Put them in subfolders of one zip file if possible. Alternatively you'll be able to attach them directly here if you can get the zip files under 1MB.

• 4 months later...

Could you outline the process to produce these words for the Ipod / Nano?

Your words look great on the nano screen, except the pinyin is a little small for viewing on a moving vehicle (bus, etc).

I'd like to do my own vocabulary.

If you have links to software needed, I'd appreciate that too.

I've done a web search, and only came up with one program that produced a flash movie, but it didn't talk about png files.

Also, specifically what did you do to generate the png's for each word.