Chinese-Forums

Living in hotel - need to register with PSB??

aeroo

Hello,

I am studying in China for 3 months. I know that if you stay in an apartment or someone's home, you need to register with the PSB, but what if I plan to live in a hotel for the 3 months while I study? Nobody seems to know for sure, including my school, and I can't seem to find any official information about that anywhere. This is the only info I found on the PSB website:

http://www.bjgaj.gov.cn/epolice/zhusu.htm

Temporary accommodation registration

Foreigners come to China temporarily and live scattered among home of local residents, should process temporary accommodation registration to the police station of this jurisdiction, bring with the inhabitant registration cards、I.D. cards of hosts and valid certificates of guests

Any info would be great.

The hotel will handle the registration for you. You may need to get confirmation that they've done this for your university or any visa extension - I think the hotel will give you this, if not they may send you to the PSB with a dated receipt for your hotel room. If nobody is asking you to show you've registered, don't worry about it.

You do need to register for the PSB, but the hotel will usually take care of this for you without you realizing it (that's why they need to scan/photocopy your passport and visa).

Also, did I read that correctly - you're going to spend 3 months living in a hotel room?

Unless things have changed in the past year, you should get a yellow "registration of temporary residence" from the hotel. This is the document you will need to extend or modify your visa, etc., and I think it's the same one the police give you.

Yea I definately did not plan on living in a hotel, but after apartment hunting for the week, I found the prices to be very high for a 3 month contract, as most owners raised the price if I wasn't staying for at least 6 months to a year. So I asked my hotel what kind of deal they could give me for the 3 months, and it is SO much cheaper. Plus I don't have to pay anything extra for electricity, hot water, cable TV with international channels, or internet (which I have free access to in my room). I also get free breakfast everyday. The best part though, are the staff and owners. They are so friendly and make me feel at home here. There's an open courtyard with tables where we chat everyday. They do not speak English so it's perfect for immersion. They are always inviting me to join them for food and drinks and offer me Chinese food that I have never tried before. Plus I have arranged a language exchange with them since they want to learn English. I am an intermediate Chinese speaker, so speaking with them everyday can really improve my language skills. I also get to meet with other travellers which is fun. This is much more social than if I were in an apartment by myself, where I would not really be meeting this many people outside of school.

I learned Spanish in Argentina, where I had my own apartment and it was a bit lonely and tough to meet locals. At this particular hotel, I don't have that problem. I love it here and find the environment perfect for a student like me.