Chinese-Forums

Shipping/Parcel Delivery

tarnm

Hi,

I'm moving to China soon, and am travelling overland, so don't really want to lug my laptop with me. Does anyone know of a way of shipping it from London to China that isn't too expensive? Time's not really an issue, the quotes I've been getting so far have been around £40 for a 3-4 delivery or £100 for a 30kg box.

Thanks

Now, if there's one thing that I absolutely wouldn't do is 'shipping' a laptop.

Why do you think they allow laptops in an aircraft's cabin? Would you put it together with your luggage?

I suggest to take good care of that little piece of sensitive technology and keep it always close to your body while travelling, no matter where or how.

I agree with Senzhi, the best place for it is in your hand luggage that you take with you.

If you have to use another way. You could try an give it to a friend going to china who then ships it to you. Shipping with in China is very cheap.

Another friend told me to look into UPS , their shipping rates are fairly good. SHe was German shipping to HK, and found them cheap.

Good luck,

SImon:)

You're going overland to China form London? Why? By what route? This seems a very difficult and potentialy dangerous undertaking.

Have you considered selling you laptop and bying a new one once you get to china?

Actually, I believe travelling from London to China over the Trans-Siberian route should be a very rewarding experience.

Potentially dangerous? Not if you keep your common senses at all times. Crossing the street on foot in Shantou is also potentially dangerous ... I'm still here. :wink:

I do suggest however, submitting your itinerary to your embassies/conslulates on your route, as well as keeping daily in touch with relatives on your location and situation.

Go for it, you'll have an experience that not many can talk about. But leave that laptop at home, and buy a new one here.

I've thought about DRIVING from London to Beijing. Even more crazy. Sometimes it's fun to plan things even if the reality is such that you'd never go through with the plan.

I'd take the laptop with me. For emails and to unload photos from my digital camera.