Chinese-Forums

Web site down?? Yahoo gone?

nitropuppy

Howdy all, I use yahoo for e-mail. For the past day or so, I can't access it on my computer. I even when to a web based search and tried opening anything yahoo. Nothing opens. Not Yahoo UK, Yahoo Aus., nothing Yahoo.

Anyone else have problems with Yahoo mail? Is it just here in China? Or is it a worldwide shutout. I've searched the news but nothing is mentioned. Or maybe it's my computer? But, I doubt that, .... everything else opens.

I would surely appreciate any insight.

Nitropuppy

I’m sorry, I don’t understand quite clearly for my poor English. Do you mean that the email @yahoo.com.cn is blocked? We use that email address on our site, and yesterday 2 letters from Taiwan were not received, I don’t know if it’s the case you’re discussing.

Elina, there should not be a problem with yahoo.com.cn, only with yahoo.com. If you type both of these into your browser, you will see that the .com.cn one opens without problems, while the .com one cannot be opened. So there must be another reason for you not receiving your emails. If you received other mails without problems, it should not be something to worry about.

Please tell me this isn't so. Why would China's government ban Yahoo.com That really just messes me up in a major way. I used Yahoo as my primary communication web. Private mail, Banking and businesses with e-commerce, contact lists, ect, ect. Please tell me it's just a glitch. Does anyone know for sure the government banned it? And what is my alternative ? What is "tor" as mentioned in a previous post?

Thanks, Nitropuppy

This has happenned before with the earth quake between Taiwan and Japan.

Also in the old days of 2001/2002 certain other sites like cnn.com and nytimes.com were censored.

When Jiang Zemin was interviewed by the New york times and asked why they were blocked this changed.

I think isolated occassions when there have been viral emails going around about something the government didn't want talked about they cut lines also. (The northeast mayor's wife ramming the old farmer and his wife was one I think.)

I am worried as well.

Keep the updates coming,

Simon:)

Yup, it's back up again. Pheeeeew. That was about to cause some major headaches for me. How in the world did I let myself get so dependant on these things? Don't answer that. It's retorical. But, maybe it's time to start a technology diet. That way, when the asteroid hits or Iran goes nuclear, I'll be able to survive in some cave somewhere. Of course, I guess I should stock up on batteries for my mp3 player. ( Hey,........you gotta have good music during the apocolypse.) :D