Chinese-Forums

Can I Edit English in my Stay in China?

xxyzxx

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this interesting forum.

Basically, I'm leaving for China on July 9th to stay travel for 45 days from Beijing and Shanghai to my hometown of Wuhan. I was born there but immigrated to the United States at the age of 6 and haven't went back since. However, beyond vacationing and learning Chinese, I want to be of some use and that is by editing a lot of the english sign posts in private businesses and public areas. Is there any way I can do this with a volunteer organization or some sort of government program? Or is it better to just write letters to the owners of the signs?

Some more background info: I'm 17 and a college freshman next year attending the University of Chicago, so I figure my english is decent enough. My chinese, though, is definately lacking as I cannot write characters at all, but can speak the language well enough for most people to understand. Thus, I want to help edit some of the horrid english language signs while learning and emersing myself in Chinese culture.

Any information would be nice, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

I want to be of some use and that is by editing a lot of the english sign posts in private businesses and public areas.

I don't think there would be a plausible way for you to go about doing this (especially the public signs) and there may be cultural offense as well in offering to do it (at least to some people- I mean the ones that did the sign originally).

If you can find a way to do it I will be happy but I would advise you to be considerate of the losing face aspect.

I've found many firms don't care that the English contains errors. They put the English on the sign for ego and status. It says "we're modern and international" to the Chinese customers. Since the customers can't actually read the English, it doesnt matter if it has errors. Also, changing a sign is a cost that people won't want to pay unless there's a really good reason to do so.

One way you could do this, though, is to make contact with the sign making shops. In the city I am in, there is one street where all the sign makers have their outlets. If you offer to help them translate the signs before they get printed/cut then there may be an opportunity for you.

I've found many firms don't care that the English contains errors. They put the English on the sign for ego and status. It says "we're modern and international" to the Chinese customers. Since the customers can't actually read the English, it doesnt matter if it has errors.

But it says to any potential foreign investors or customers "We're idiots. We don't even care enough abt quality to correctly translate this advertisement. We went with a Chinese translator* to cut corners, which we do quite a lot around here at the expense of quality and customer service."

*simply meaning a translator should only work from a foreign source language into his/her native target language and never vice-versa. An native English speaker likewise usually has no business translating English into Chinese.

Just a pet peeve seeing all these expensive billboards with great graphics and something idiotic written in English to ruin the appeal of the product and the work of the designer.

Good luck trying to right these wrongs! :mrgreen: