Chinese-Forums

Residence Permit

cliveloughlin

Hi again all

I am going to study BA Chinese later this year and want to stay with a friend (for free) now. She has agreed to this and thinks that it should be no problem.

She is a Chinese national and her hukou and house are both in the city where I will study. As she is a mate I will not pay her any rent - do you think that this will be ok with the government (for the residence permit)? I will go through all the other formalities, e.g. going to register at the police station etc but do you think that the PSB will think this is strange if I am living there for free? Could it have any negative effect on getting a visa/residence permit?

I don't have enough money to rent by myself at this stage but I will probably do this some stage in the future.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who is living with Chinese mates whilst studying here (especially those who don't need to pay rent!).

Cheers

Clive

Nobody ever asked me how much I was paying in rent so how would the PSB know that you were there for free. I think they'd be more interested in an unmarried man and woman living together and that may be something you have to explain. But then again, are they likely to ask if you don't mention it?

so how would the PSB know that you were there for free
Because when you register at the local PSB they will most likely want to see proof that your landlord has paid the rent tax before giving you your registration form of temporary residence. If you are staying somewhere for free, then you will need to explain that.

Thanks guys

I will actually live with her and her husband (well, bf at the moment). I don't know how it would work...I can explain that we are good friends - we have worked in the same company in Beijing since I arrived last November.

Fingers crossed...

I still have a few months left yet but I really want to find out all the details as soon as I can - save firefighting come September!

Cheers

Cj

i stayed with a friend for several months. no problems when we went to the psb to register.

they never asked about a contract or rent or why i was living there. of course it may be

different depending on where you'll be located.

The PSB needs to know where foreigners live. Even tourists that stay in a hotel for more than 3 days, will be registered with the PSB through the hotel staff.

In addition, regulations say that housing for foreigners needs to be approved by the PSB, in accordance with certain standards, whatever these standards may be.

Never never think that the PSB won't know where you are staying and who you're staying with .... they will.

But that doesn't mean you cannot be invited to stay for free ... but you might have to explain that very carefully.

Of course they'll do a check on your friend(s) as well.

I've been living with my girlfriend (now my wife) in Beijing for almost a year now. She is Chinese and owns the house, and I haven't had any problem at all at the local PSB. I've even been there 3 times: when I first got here with an X visa, when I got my first residence permit in my passport, and when I got my second residence permit after paying tuition for another semester. All 3 times were before we got married.