Chinese-Forums

Accessing Blogspot from China

Strawberries513

If someone could please click this link and tell me if it works properly in China that would be great!!

http://christina-china.blogspot.com

I just need to make sure this blog site isnt blocked or anything in China. Also, do any of you have a blogspot blog over there? Do they work OK?

Thank you!!

I have blogspot but any time I want to use it I turn on my very fancy (but not too expensive) VPN (Virtual Private Network) and endure slower speeds on the internet.

And yes that link is blocked. Sorry!

Oh, but you should be aware that www.blogger.com (the site where you go to update your blogspot blog) works very well. Thus, if your audience is the people at home, you could still use blogspot (you could view it yourself using one of a number of methods listed elsewhere on this site). Of course, it would not be too convenient if you would like to share the blog with your Chinese friends in China.

Many Chinese websites, e.g., sina or 163 offer blog services with excellent accessability. Of course, those require you to read a bit of Chinese.

Good luck with your blogging. :)

The site I suggested is not a blog. It's a web browser that allows you to access blocked sites from within China. You will have no trouble accessing your blog in China if you use that browser, although it might be a little bit slower.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a blogspot blog. I started it in Ireland before I arrived in China last July. Usually, blogspot is blocked when I try to access my blog from my laptop computer at home in China, Beijing. There are ways around it of course. For example, you can use a proxy server. Go to www.proxy4free.com for a list of IPs and ports for free ones. I find the anonymous ones, don't work for me. But, some of the transparent ones do work, often with as zippy a download speed as my normal broadband connection.

Another alternative is http://proxify.com. I pay for the subscription service. I think it's about 40 dollars for 6 months if memory serves. Very useful to access any websites you can't otherwise access in China. The free one is okay. The paid services gives you a few more odds and ends, for example, you can access flash sites and so on.

But, did you know, even if your blogspot blog is blocked in China, you can still access blogger?

So, you can go to www.blogger.com and then sign into your account and you can update your blog. Thing is, you can't read it after you post a new entry, as long as the "Great Firewall of China" is up and running.

Paul Carr