Chinese-Forums

Rabies vaccine

london82

Hi,

I want to travel to tibet and I am considering the rabies vaccine. The guide books seem to think it's necessary.

I would be really grateful if someone could answer some questions:

1)I'm already in China and not likely to be in the same city for more than a few days so what does the jab involve? is it only one injection or is it a series?

and

2) does anyone know where I can obtain the jab in Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Hong Kong or I'd be very surprised if anyone did but Jiamusi?

3) price estimates?

any experiences of side affects would be interesting as i've heard it's none too pleasant.

Thanks for your help

Emma

I have no idea what type they like to give, but in the US its a series of 3 injections, each about US$200, so total US$600. Any large-ish hospital ought to have them, but you should definitely call first.

That's terrible news but thanks for the reply.

So, any thoughts of going to Tibet without the jab?

I am absolutely terrified of dogs at the best of times so would be exercising alot of caution anyway. I am not a cyclist and my trip will be restricted to the highlights, hopefully including Everest base camp, as I only have 3 weeks.

Thanks

Emma

Not a clue, I know the US CDC calls it a "required" or "highly reccomended" (I can't quite remember off the top of my head) injection for all of China, its more to save them legal troubles should they arise. Your local doctor would be the best person to ask.

Rabies, if you might have extensive unprotected outdoor exposure in rural areas, such as might occur during camping, hiking, or bicycling, or engaging in certain occupational activities.
from the CDC website under the section "Recommended Vaccinations and Preventive Medications"

CDC Website for East Asia here

I got mine in the UK through my Doctors clinic and it cost me a total of £6.75 with prescription but if you go through the travel clinics its £40 a shot and there is 3 shots... now the kicker is that it doesnt actually protect you from rabies so much as gives you extra time to get to a hospital to get treatment for rabies...