Chinese-Forums

QIM

muyongshi

Hey I was doing some browsing and if I'm not mistaken there are two different releases of this great input method and one of them is now being offered free and one at the usual cost. Can someone confirm this?

The link here has the version 1.2 and you can download it but when I tried to find the pay site it came up with "donations" are no longer being excepted.

But downloading 1.3 from here has the typical payment stuff.

Oh and why do the two costs NOT match up. 69 rmb to 19.99US is not an exact match up unless the market REALLY took a dive in the last 5 hours.

Different prices for different markets is actually not a very good explanation. When companies charge different prices in different markets (price discrimination) that is beggging for consumers to engage in arbitrage. Hence, people from America go to Canada to buy drugs at a cheaper price. What would stop people from buying this software with Chinese RMB and then selling to to people for a lesser amount in USD than the company sells it for? Not this is not illegal; once you buy something even if it is copyrighted you have the right to resell it (first sale doctrine under U.S. copyright law). McDonald's does not have to worry about price arbitrage, because you can't exactly (or at least nobody will) buy a McDonald's hamburger or whatnot in China and then sell it in the U.S. for cheaper. Also, why pay the higher amount in USD? Couldn't you just pay in RMB and have it converted so that it takes USD out of your account? There will be a fee, but still is probably cheaper than paying the $20 (credit cards typically now-a-days have a 3% fee).

Gougou,

You're right ... except for e-business, as the cost of business remains more or less the same cross border.

The only reason that would be valid would be differences in taxes. And I only see such differences in the EU.

Which is why I avoid transactions over the net in Euro.

Muyongshi,

Just try and see if you can pay up in RMB. That works a lot of times.

You'll only have to cough up the exchange fees (as well as a transaction fee), which are the cheapest with credit cards transactions anyway. And defnitely cheaper in this case.

Actually, whatever version you download you will still have to pay if you want to continue using it, I don't know why they have made it two separate pages. Anyway, with either version of QIM you are given a 10,000 character limit to try the software before you need to pay. Depending on how much Chinese you type this might last you for quite a long time.

Just recently, after getting down to about 4000 characters remaining in my limit, I registered for the 69Y price. After all, it says quite clearly that price is for people living in Mainland China, and that's where I'm living :)

Just try and see if you can pay up in RMB. That works a lot of times.

You'll only have to cough up the exchange fees (as well as a transaction fee), which are the cheapest with credit cards transactions anyway. And defnitely cheaper in this case.

No that won't work because Paypal China doesn't accept international payment so thankfully I already have a China Bank Account and China Paypal account! :D :D