Chinese-Forums

Anyone not been accepted to University?

billiardsmike

Based on last year, we'll shortly see a number of posts worrying about paperwork and whether or not they have actually been accepted to BLCU and other universities. These people are nervous enough already - let's save them a little stress.

Has ANYONE ever been rejected by BLCU? Have you heard of anyone who has?

Absolutely never.

And I can add that I know a fellow that has been doing the same class 3 years in a row. Every semester his attendance rate is about a quarter of his non-attendance rate so he does 'Beginning Chinese 2' again and again and again, and three times over. I think he's still there now. BLCU have advised him to attend his classes more often, but they won't kick him out. He thinks its a total joke, and more likely than not, so does the BLCU. The poor parents forking out the fees on the other hand...

Anyway that's to get sidetracked. The point is that I think this demonstrates the BLCU is hardly Harvard in its selectiveness.

That said, administration can be a tricky animal. Better to get all paperwork done properly and on time.

y

I read somewhere in this forum that some people apply to more than one university at one time, in the hope that at least one university accepts them.

Is this fear of rejection by a university founded? I mean, the application fee is not cheap ($AUD 60), applying for more than one university is expensive. But at the same time, I don't want to miss out on getting a position with BCLU or Tsinghua in 2008 (preferring the latter more). Should I just apply to one uni? :conf

From experience of what's happened to friends of mine ... you'll get into any Uni you apply to (if you're just applying to study Mandarin).

BLCU will take your money and then not care what you do.

BNU will block you studying for a further semester if your attendance record is low and they'll stop you going up to the next level if you don't test well; although the test results are all so high it's difficult to fail (either that or my class, including me, were just so damn good!).

I just got accepted to the Tsinghua program and when I called to ask about it, they said that everyone who applies by the deadline pretty much gets accepted. Therefore, there shouldn't be much to worry about. Plus, they didn't tell me whether or not I got accepted until almost the application deadline anyways.

Initially, I had also considered applying to more than one language school as backup, however, it really isn't necessary.

applepie42, I'm glad you are going to tsinghua. I'm planning to go at the start of 2008 for a year. How long are you going for?

It's good to hear you got in, it's very reassuring.

It seems like there aren't many tsinghua students on this forum to my knowledge, mainly BCLU or BNU students :wink:

Teaching Chinese to foreign students is about money. About the only time you will be rejected is if you miss the deadline...and even then, you can probably still get in. For example, ECNU at Shanghai still allows students to register in person on the day of enrollment and testing, which is months after the application deadline.

People, studying Chinese at any university (or anywhere else) is not about prestige or qualifications. It is about money. If you have it, they will be more than happy to take it.

Given that any university offering Chinese courses will have absolute beginner, starting from scratch, classes, it's no great surprise they are open to all-comers. Get your application in on time and you'll have no problem. Don't get your application in on time - and you'll probably still have no problem. Even if a class is full they're likely to either squeeze you in or open another class for you and the other stragglers. As said, there are financial considerations at work here. Beyond that, they require what exactly? A high school diploma? Hardly excessive.

A better measure of quality, if you like, would be what happens once you get there. If you test into Chinese 101, can you get into Chinese 201 by kicking and screaming? Can you still go onto the next level even if you fail your exams. Is it even possible to fail your exams?

If you test into Chinese 101, can you get into Chinese 201 by kicking and screaming? Can you still go onto the next level even if you fail your exams. Is it even possible to fail your exams?

From my knowledge of BNU ... yes, very difficult, yes

applepie42, I'm glad you are going to tsinghua. I'm planning to go at the start of 2008 for a year. How long are you going for?

It's good to hear you got in, it's very reassuring.

It seems like there aren't many tsinghua students on this forum to my knowledge, mainly BCLU or BNU students

sandeehoo,

I'm also going to Tsinghua for a year, Fall 2007 and Spring 2008. Maybe I'll see you for the Spring semester! I'll keep posting once I arrive so you have a better sense of what is going on.

I've noticed the lack of Tsinghua students too. I wonder why though, since it's such a prestigious school. However, if it wasn't for the fact that my friends (international students from China) highly recommended it, I wouldn't have looked into that school as BCLU and BNU usually turn up in searches more readily.

Good luck on your application! Don't fret too much, and if you have any questions, keep posting! People on this forum have been really helpful.

-applepie

I've noticed the lack of Tsinghua students too. I wonder why though, since it's such a prestigious school.

It's not known as a language school; although that reputation is changing quickly it seems!

It'd be like applying to Oxford or Cambridge University to study English for a term. Expensive, good reputation, good student life but probably indifferent bordering on bad English language tuition. However, it's bloody good on a CV.

I've noticed the lack of Tsinghua students too. I wonder why though, since it's such a prestigious school.

Because (Chinese) Tsinghua students are the smart, crazy, gifted type. I've been around a ton of them at my former uni. Nice enough bunch, but a bit antisocial side if I do say so. But if you walk around talking to yourself in Chinese, then you might just fit into Tsinghua:mrgreen: so it's worth considering.

As for the actual language program, I have no clue.

____

*This was another one of heifeng's not very helpful replies...which seem to occur quite often on Fridays hehe

Anyone know about those applying to non-language study programs?

As I've noted in a few other threads, I'm planning on attending BeiDa sometime shortly after the Olympics for an MA in Chinese Lit. I'm curious about what types of hoops I'll have to jump through other than the HSK testing.

Anyone with thoughts / experience to share would be greatly appreciated.