Chinese-Forums

Cycling and Safety in China

sandeehoo

I often ride in a circle around the 2nd and 3rd rings just for the fun of it.

I did that. The third ring road is a bit dull around the Western part though.

As for getting to the front of the pack - that was easy for me as I had a bike with gears! OK, only three (hub) gears, but none the less it meant I could pull away from lights etc quicker than anyone else.

I would have raced you, Magores ;)

As for bike theft ... my bike was a brand new 800y Giant. I bought 120y worth of locks (from a different shop - I didn't want any staff to know what bike I had and which locks/keys went with it) and nearly always locked the bike to something, rather than just to itself. As far as I'm aware, no one tried to steal it in the 6 months I owned it.

I took my bike (it's a hybrid bike - so very heavy) to Northern France last week and got up to 42mph! OK, that was loaded with panniers (one with 5 bottles of wine), down hill with a strong wind behind me. My maximum speed going the other way is not something I'm gonna share ;)

I did that. The third ring road is a bit dull around the Western part though.

I've got to ask, what's undull about the other three sides of the third ring? I can see you might get some nice neon on the east side, but the north is a concrete wasteland more or less, and I can't imagine there's much of interest on the south side.

what's undull about the other three sides of the third ring?

Good point. However, I like the northern section as I've cycled along that section a lot and used to time myself along it. I'd often cycle from BNU to 798 art district. The east side is fine as you can quickly nip off to get jiaozi, plus you can see stressed office workers running around. And the south side was interesting because I'd never been to south beijing before so it was all new.

OK, I only did it once.

Fair enough. You could maybe make it a bit nicer by coming off the north third ring at Beitaipingzhuang, then coming through Beishida and picking up the canal at Xizhimen and following that through to Zizhuyuan - I don't think you can follow the canal all the way, but you can try. But then you wouldn't be ticking off 'cycle third ring road' on your list of things to do in Beijing . . .

Exactly. But I've ticked off the "3rd ring road" now and won't be doing it again ;) Done the 2nd. Might have to do the 4th one time.

I've done the cycling-along-the-canal stuff which is great for sightseeing and taking photos, especially if you head West from BNU, through the remnants of a couple of hutongs, and then carrying the bike across train tracks before it all gets boring and built-up again.

My favourite slow ride is south from BNU down the east side of houhai (and the other two lakes).

2nd ring ... More congested, easy to make a wrong turn in some places.

3rd ring ... Not necessarily exciting, but it's a good distance/time ratio

4th ring... I don't like it. Whenever I go to the 4th ring, I am always greeted by smells that remind me I am in a developing country. 6th ring is okay. I can deal with farm smells, but the smell of pollution near the 4th ring makes me choke. S 4th is the worst stretch.

The road out to Shunyi isn't pleasant. But, Shunyi is. I liked it there.

Most fun rides are when I have some particular place to go, and plenty of time to get there.

Example: From my house near the SE corner of 3rd to Zhongguancun. I could follow the ring road(s), or I can follow the major streets.

But its far more fun to zig-zag my way there. Sure... I have to backtrack sometimes, and go on unpaved roads, but that is exactly what makes it fun. I know areas and street names, and ways to go, that my Chinese friends have never heard of. Simply because I let myself get lost.

I know areas and street names, and ways to go, that my Chinese friends have never heard of. Simply because I let myself get lost.

Same in London. I think cycling in big cities is fantastic fun. Assuming you survive.