Chinese-Forums

Your Job in China

simonlaing

Hey All,

This thread is to complement the housing thread. Most people have teaching jobs which are sometimes regulated by the government and sometimes not.

So put a short description of the job and the wage you are being paid.

I will start with a couple of jobs I had in the last year or two in Nanjing. What is the going rate for teaching in your area?

Naskaken English (similar to web, or wall street private for-profit englishschoo ) year of 06-Wage:

10k /month and one way plane ticket once a year with limited health care and other benefits. Other plus you didn't have to prepare many of the classes.

Work time 25 hours teaching a week. very tiring

Commute time25 min bike ride.

Size of classes 4 to 8 to 25 students

Nanjing Audit Uni - Teachign English majors

Wage: 4,000 RMB a month plus nice free apartment on campus and a plane time. Great environment, ate at the school faculty canteen, and in small shops, saved about 2500 a month.

Work time: 12-14 hours a week, Repeated classes so limited prep time. Long vacations in the summer and in Spring festival. Good support from the faculty.

After I left this job they required the teachers to commute 1 hour to the suburban campus, but while I was there living on the campus it was a 5 minute walk which included going down 4 flights of my apartment building an 2 flights of the teaching building. Living in the suburb is a non-starter as there is nothing there at the moment. I was allowed to teach alternative classes like movie appreciation, watch a movie act out a scene time deal.

size of classes 12-25 -50

Since this is China and Chinese people often ask my salary. I don't think it is so strange. I think also by getting what other people are being paid we can better negotiate for ourselves don't you think?

Thanks,

Have fun,

Simon:)

p.s. post what people make in other places like Shanghai, or Yunnan as the cost of living is different I think so it would make sense that the salary is different.