Chinese-Forums

Major university application process: pre-requisites and other essentials

kdavid

The intended audience for this post is foreigners who have experience (directly or indirectly through a friend) applying to non-Mandarin language study programs at major Chinese universities (e.g. BeiDa, Qinghua, etc.).

I'm interested in studying for an MA at Peking University within the next year or two. I do NOT want to study with only other foreigners and do NOT want to study for any type of "honorary" or similar degree offered by the university. I want to study in Chinese with other Chinese Literature students and get a real degree.

I've looked through a few websites that state I must have an HSK score of 9 or higher. However, this is the only pre-requisite I've found needed for the application process.

The other night my girlfriend told me that I may also be required to "test into" the university (e.g. take a "gaokao"-type exam and pass). Is this true? If so, does anyone have any information on how to prepare for this exam?

Lastly, how long is the application process? Ideally, I would be beginning class during the fall of '09, if not sooner.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi David,

I wrote a long post and then it had an issue. Might be the censors at my company.

Anyway MAs take 3 years.

Most MAs only need a HSK 6 to enroll with other Chinese students.

Perhaps because you're doing chinese you need and HSK9. (which on the advanced test is the lowest group that gets a mark)

Classes are often large lecture with not much interaction between the students and the teacher. With an end of term exam as the only marking. Though sometimes they take attendence and missing too many classes will give the option to the professor to stop you from studying.

I had a Canadian friend who did an undergrad in Chinese in Nanjing U #4 on the rankings supposedly. He had to learn Fantizi (traditional characters) and learn tones of literature from different time periods in China. Sung dynasty poertry, Three kingdoms, confucius philosophy. There was a fair amount of ancient history as well. It can be quite tough and most professors don't have office hours here.

It usually costs more than the language program 1300 USD 2 years ago. But could be different now. It is possible that you might have a korean student or two as well, though most like there will just be other Chinese students.

It is a tough choice to make. I opted for the 1 year UK degree, which now looking back might not have been the best choice.

Anyway, Good luck,

have fun,

SImon:)

Thanks Simon.

You're right about the HSK 9. The information I read said that students in the sciences only need an HSK of 6, but those in the Humanities need a 9.

I'm also quite familiar with the Chinese style of teaching. The whole goal of getting the degree is really just to beef up my graduate school application.

Did your friend have to take any test other than the HSK?

Hi Kdavid,

I think my friend got in through first doing a year in the language program.

Also once you can get in you can sometimes negotiate with them on the examination procedures. I had another friend who did an MBA but had difficulty with the Chinese and was able to write 2 papers instead of sitting an exam.

It might be the Chinese major aswell. I was going to study sociology and journalism and they only wanted a 6 . It might be the Pretigiousness of the top 2 as well setting a high level.

There are also rankings of certain types of departments which do not always follow the UNi ranking. For instance Nanjing U ranks higher than Nanjing Normal U over all but Nanjing Normal U's Chinese department ranks higher than Nanda's.

Anyway something else to research,

Good luck,

Have fun,

SImon:)