Chinese-Forums

CSC Info

Jamoldo

So after waiting for a while, I caved in and called a consular office (New York City) to ask when applicants would find out about CSC scholarships. After beating around the bush with the guy for a while (he asked my name and then started explaining how tough it was to get in my district, never a good sign), he said that he knew unofficially I didn't get it, as in my name was not on the list... Apparently there were 13 applicants and 2 acceptances (one from Columbia University and one from Amherst). I tried to ask if these kids were trying to do Master's, Phd's, or language but much like a broken record he kind of just repeated what said at the start.

I'm sure I didn't get it, but seeing how he didn't know my name/recognize it given that there were only 13 applicants, and that he had never heard of my alma mater (its famous enough), I doubt my application even went through. Oh well.

In other words, decisions have been made, if you want to know, call the consulate in your or your university's region and ask, as they may have phoned Beijing to ask the guy that makes decisions on an unofficial basis. Official letters should be coming in the next few weeks apparently. To those who got them, congrats!

To be honest, does any one even fully understand these mysterious CSC scholarships... no one really knows how to apply, we all have random, unconfirmed, inconsistent information on them, there always seems like there is a series of obstacles and guanxi or something you need to hop through or being familiar with to even apply...:mrgreen:

If you really didn't get it, then don't feel bad, they probably just put all your names on ping pong balls and randomly pulled them outta a bucket to determine the winners Bingo style...

The CSC process, at least in the US, is unclear at best. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I might have gotten one, but I never expected to get it. I know of this guy in a European country where he walked into the Chinese embassy/consulate and asked questions about studying in China. They handed him the application and told him to fill it out, saying that his country had three scholarships allotted and that only one had been applied for and that he would definitely get it.

No. What's in that thread (thanks for the link) is pretty common. I have a friend from Washington DC who got one through his high school's connections (although he had finished college), and another poster on this board who's HS teacher pretty much had some connections to get it for him. The kid in the post above apparently walked into the embassy and just got it without gunaxi or anything.

I know some Canadian kids who definitely applied and didn't know anything or anyone and got it...