Chinese-Forums

New Vocab Podcast

SeekerOfPeace

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some podcasts with useful phrases or expressions. Just someone reading them out loud and giving the Chinese equivalent.

I'm not looking for context oriented dialogs. Just a list of useful expressions I could listen to while I go running.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

David1978:

I did. I typed "New Vocabulary Podcast" and I didn't get any relevant results.

EDIT: If you are aware of an existing thread that provides what I'm looking for, how about sharing the link? That would help.:)

I'd like to know too, nothing I'm aware of.

That said, I think you're stretching a bit - there's not much out there in the way of podcasts for Chinese learners and I've never heard of anything like what you're looking for. Best bet, if that's what you really want, is to get hold of the tapes or books for a textbooks course and convert the new vocab bits to mp3. Or it occurs to me that these (second post) might suit, two books of useful words and phrases. Get the tapes, convert to mp3, done.

A possible alternative might be Plecodict 2.0, when that comes out. It'll have sound files and it might be possible to get it to read out lists, I'm not sure. That would require taking a PDA for a run though.

Thank you Roddy. :)

I'm surprised there's no such thing.

I could really picture some useful sentences and expressions translated back in forth (Chinese-English/English-Chinese).

My friends back in China used to teach me expressions like that all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

You can check out this site. I found it through searching the iTunes store. It's by a laowai, but it's a free list of vocabulary.

http://www.gcast.com/user/dyejo/podcast/?nr=1&&s=234124482

The other resource that comes to mind is the series of tapes Vocabulearn Chinese which comes in three levels. You can find them on Amazon or other stores. It matches what you are looking for, but it's not a podcast.

Serge Melnyks has some excellent podcasts. They are more context-oriented than you're looking for, but I would still recommend them. They do include vocabulary lists. Also, Serge has a certain presence in his voice that puts one at ease and instills confidence. I like his podcasts better than Chinesepod, which has a more radio-slick feel.

• 12 years later...

By chance, I found an answer to this 12 year old question (actually, I had to search for a question that fitted the answer). It's a podcast for native Chinese speakers learning English, but it is bilingual and seems to work perfectly both ways - basically, a short informal discussion on an everyday topic between Jenny (a native Chinese speaker) and Adam (a Chinese-speaking American ), comparing common words and expressions in Chinese and English. A lot of the discussion is in English but Jenny translates all the useful words and phrases into clear Mandarin.

潘吉Jenny告诉你-学英语聊美国
https://www.ximalaya.com/waiyu/262212/

The titles include topics like: '宜家Ikea到底怎么读', '逛Costco被人流淹没,这些形拥挤的英语太形象了!', '怎么称呼家人?Daddy,Mommy可不叫!' and much more.  It looks terribly useful for 听力 and vocabulary,  I hope it is accessible to people from lower intermediate level up.

The show has been running a long time and is nearing episode 700, but the earlier episodes I checked were mostly in Chinese and no Adam to be seen  heard. Still, the current format goes back several pages, plenty to listen to and the show is still running. Jeny has other podcasts on a same vein in Ximalaya, check the links if you want more.

This reference came in this article from What's on Weibo :

Top 10 of Popular Chinese Podcasts of 2019 (by What’s on Weibo)

No, unfortunately. But it's easy to get the vocabulary from the English part where all the main words and phrases are translated (remember this is primarily for people studying English). I wonder if one could use an audio translator like Microsoft/Bing. 

I listened to quite a few episodes earlier and they seemed quite good for practise and generally easy to understand. Good as audio practice but  quite a bit of work if you want to collect the vocabulary, you'd have to look up the written characters somewhere else.