Chinese-Forums

How to Change a DNS Registrar

stephanhodges

I am trying to move a DNS record from a Chinese registrar (I think it's paycenter.com.cn) The link we use to control the DNS record is here:

http://www.paycenter.com.cn/manage/management.htm

I am trying to change to godaddy.com in the US. It's much cheaper, it's English, and several other reasons :)

Anyway, I've been trying for almost three months, with the help of a Chinese person. Unfortunately, after three months the Chinese friend still doesn't understand the difference between a registration record and a registrar (the company controlling the DNS record).

So, today I asked him how to say "registrar" in Chinese, and he doesn't know.

So that's question #1.

Question #2 is how to get it done. I know how to do it from the godaddy side of things, but international agreements require a release code from the current holder before a transfer of DNS record to a new registrar (which is normally a good thing!).

I don't know how to explain this (in chinese). Anyone can do that for me?

The time I switched registrars, all I had to do was go into the online "domain maintenance" page from my old host. From there, there was a link to release the domain lock, and some fields where I had to paste the new nameserver addresses. Once I did that and asked my new host to take over the domain, it was all settled.

Are you positive you changed registrars, or just ISPs?

I ask because most people don't realize there's a difference. It sounds like you're talking about switching ISPs.

Changing name servers doesn't necessarily mean switching registrars. Each registrar DOES have their own name servers, of course, so I can see where you would change them if you were using the old registrar's servers.

Were they both Chinese registrars?

Yes, I had the domain registration transferred from one host to another, because I didn't want to be paying one company to register the domain, and another to host it. I think that when the new host requested control of the domain, I received an e-mail and had to respond to it to confirm the switch. Neither was a Chinese registrar. Both were American, AFAIK.

Getting into your DNS management panel requires a password, and I couldn't find any online help on the site. It would be helpful if you can post a screenshot of the Chinese control panel here. Otherwise, it would be hard for us to help.

Well,

obvious reasons :roll: not to post a password. The main menu has three options, the biggest level 2 menu has 8 more options, etc.

Originally, I found out WHERE to unlock the record but we could do it without authorization codes from the registrar.

Lately, godaddy, and ICANNS both say that the new registrar has to initiate the transfer.

But, the problem over the last three months is getting any information from the registrar on how to allow the transfer.

That's why I asked if anyone knew the vocabulary, and perhaps 2 or 3 sentences explaining in Chinese what was needed.

To post screenshots, I will have to block out the domain names and data before I can post. Will try and do that now.