Chinese-Forums

Why do caucasians love English?

sthubbar

I had to stop reading after page two, some of the comments being posted on here just; well I don't know how to phrase it without stirring up a battle.

If you run your life based on "what you feel other people will think" about your actions then you're not in control of your own life. Within moral reason, do as you please.

In my opinion it just comes down to insecurity when someone feels it's weird or strange to use a language they dedicated countless hours towards mastering, especially with someone who has also dedicated countless hours towards learning that same language, and IN CHINA.

If you can't speak Chinese in China to someone who knows (or is learning) Chinese then where can you speak it?

sthubbar, I would have walked away as well. Not because he didn't want to speak Chinese, but because of the way he refused you.

I enjoy very much talking in Chinese to fellow students (Caucasians or Asian looking, whatever) - I even feel a bit more confidence, as it is a kind of competition and less embarrassed about own mistakes. :)

Someone mentioned their job... I teach english, so my job doesn't include chinese... and my home time doesn't include chinese unless I'm watching a dvd or studying it... so my only chances to speak chinese are out in public on weekends or on my way home from work. At a store, taxi, whatever.

I find it difficult to find chinese friends who don't speak english or don't want to learn. It seems everywhere I go (except food shopping and taxi rides) everyone wants to speak english. :(

Then, although this is dumb, I sometimes feel guilty if I don't speak english with them... I know they've hardly ever or never spoken to foreigners, so i feel like i should "give them some" english. I'm too nice.

I must say, I REALLY LOVE the chinese people who just assume I speak chinese and they only speak chinese with me. These are usually lower-level workers, like the cleaning lady at our school, she's so happy when I say 你好, or something simple about the weather. I don't think the chinese employees even speak to her.

I'd be glad to speak chinese with anyone of any color.