Chinese-Forums

Hefei - opinions/advice please

Rhian

Dear All,

I am shortly due to travel to China to work as a Language Assistant to the English department in a secondary school. I will be based in Hefei, Anhui province.

All the info I've read has not really given a vivid impression of Hefei. Can anyone let me know anything about this area?

Many thanks

Rhian

I spent a couple of weeks there on business and it was not a bad city. Nothing really stood out except the heat and the worst Chinese food i've had in China (Not the only one to say that).

There is an abundance of coffee houses as well as a couple of expat bars. Best eating spot back then was "Indian Kitchen" in the Holiday Inn. There is a Parkson loaded with German goods, cheese, coffee, baguettes, etc...

Ah.. hefei! One of the weirdest summers I've spent in China ( summer 2004) but no doubt the city has changed since then.

Indian Kitchen, as TallyNole mentioned was ace! great food and a nice relaxing athmosphere overlooking the whole city. The locals are friendly and there is easy enough access to western goodies.

Local food, however, just did not tickle my fancy! The missus and I ended up eating at home a majority of the time or getting Jiaozi from "Lao Nai".

There is actually an expat site for Hefei: http://hefeiexpat.com/forum/index.php and that's probably the best place to get information.